Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Dang U!

• Please log in to reply

aidanzman

aidanzman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When trying to install such things as msn messenger, windows media player, football manager 2005 my computer will simply reboot itself after a few seconds. I am running Adaware and a trial of spy swepper and spy ware doctor and despite very minimal showings i still cannot get anything else to install. I did upgrade my computer to explorer 6. Has this affected something. :tazz:

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi aidanzman Sorry to hear about your problem.

I doubt it has anything to do with IE6, maybe but I suspect it is a spyware/malware problem. So first let's try to fix that.

First thing I would do is get rid of both Spy Sweeper and PC tools Spyware Doctor.
Spyware Doctor is probably legit but not very effective. Since I've never used it this is based on what I've read online at respectible sites, and Spyware Sweeper may very well be causing your problem.

So Definately uninstall Spy Sweeper; go to your Control Panel and then Add/Remove programs and remove this application. This program is deceptive it's not what it appears to be.

I had serious problems with this product.

Specifically, I loved the use and functionality of the software. HOWEVER, this came at a tremendous price. My PC, which is a new 3GHZ Windows XP machine, started slowing down after I installed Spe Sweeper. At first, I did not recognize that this had anything to do with Spy Sweeper. However, after 2 weeks, my PC was VERY slow and I started to poke around.

I discovered that Spy Sweeper was completely responsible for the overhead. I removed it from my PC, and it once again was like a new PC.

Spy Sweeper does something that can kill your PC - they need to address this before I could recomend the software to anyone.

For more information See User Review and Rogue Anti-Spyware

Can you install software in safe mode? Try it, If you have a set up file for something like MSN messenger go into Safe mode and try to install it. To enter Safe Mode, tap F8 (or possibly CTRL) repeatedly when your computer is first booting up and choose safe mode in the startup Menu. See if that works and let us know.

Download HiJack This and install it by Clicking Here and choosing Open. This should work even with your problem, it's a self extracting Zip File not a Set up File. If it doesn't work, let us know as quick as you can.

If it does work see the instructions Here, and following the recommendations as best you can. You'll be asked to download and install stuff and admittedly you may not be able to do that. But if you can get Hijack This to run, post your log here as an attachment. I'd like to at least look at your start up file and see if you have a major spyware problem. If you do, I'll suggest you repost the log in the malware section so spyware removal experts can help you deal with cleaning it up.