Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pc stops working when graphic card is put in

• Please log in to reply

bazzi135

bazzi135

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
Can anyone please help me with this error it would really appreciate it

I have been running my graPHIC card with my system for over a year know, and suddenly my computer went through a error were once i put my graphic card it dosnt even turn on i dont know why

What Ive tried:

Different PC, OS, Screen, VGA cable, HDMI, etc ,formatting, updated drives, New Hardrive, contacting Nvidia and GIgabyte ETC

Graphic Card: Nvidia9800GT 512mb
Motherboard Brand : GIGABYTE
Model : GA-G31M-ES2L
Operation System : Win XP SP3 :
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 3.1GHz each
Power Supply: 550w

Thanks for checking my questions and thank you for any help giving

Edited by bazzi135, 20 September 2010 - 06:45 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, since you tried this card in a different PC then that's pretty conclusive the card is bad.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Did you try another working Graphic Card to verify if it might be your PCI-Express slot the issue.

Did you try to reset your CMOS settings

Did you try another PSU so to verify if yours had problems giving enough power to initialize your Graphic Card and the rest of your system.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
He said,

What Ive tried:

Different PC, OS, Screen, VGA cable, HDMI, etc ,formatting, updated drives, New Hardrive, contacting Nvidia and GIgabyte ETC

That says to me the card does not work in two different PCs so another slot, CMOS, or PSU will make no difference.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

He said,

What Ive tried:

That says to me the card does not work in two different PCs so another slot, CMOS, or PSU will make no difference.

He did not specified if it worked or not in another PC he just said he tried in another one.

If the card does not work in two different PC then there is no question to ask, the card is bad.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
It would help if the OP was clearer, for example did the card work in the other pc, is the computer working using the onboard video or not,

i put my graphic card it dosnt even turn on i dont know why

Does this mean connecting the pc to the monitor or fitting the actual card into the MB and what is not turning on the whole pc or the monitor.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

It would help if the OP was clearer

Agreed. I took it as he tried all those things listed and still had problems. But there is room for other interpretations. So before we make more possibly incorrect assumptions, we need some clarifications.

When you installed the card in a second PC, did the second PC stop working too? If it did, then the card is bad - "assuming" you have correct power connected in the 2nd PC. If it worked in the 2nd PC, then there's something wrong with the first PC.

Since it was working for a year then "suddenly" stopped, it would suggest a hardware failure and I agree to check the PSU first.