Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to the internet with my new Windows 7 laptop

• Please log in to reply

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, thank goodness for this site!

I have a brand new HP laptop that runs Windows 7 and I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried all the usual things that I know of - bearing in mind I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world! - like resetting the router etc but nothing is working. I love my new laptop but really need the internet to work!
Have read somewhere online that the drivers between routers and Windows 7 can be incompatible but unsure if this is what it is and if so how to fix it!

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance
Beckie

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
To help diagnose the problem please do the following:

Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom -> hit enter ->type ipconfig /all -> right click and click select all -> hit enter (the screen is now copied) -> paste the results back in a new reply post. I will then try to work out what is happening.

Also, do you have any other computers? - If so, are they experiencing any issues connecting or is it just your laptop.

Thanks.

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi thank you for your quick reply :D

unfortunately I cannot paste the results back to you because I can't connect to the internet with that laptop. I'm currently writing to you on my partner's laptop which is working fine and incidentally has windows vista.

i have done what you said though so I could type it out or particular parts of it to you?

thanks again

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What does it say for IPv4 address?

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it says 192.168.0.3 preferred

thank you :D

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok, well that's good it means your computer is being assigned a IP address. Just want to check that your computer can communicate properly with your router. To do this you will need to take note of the default gateway which should be one of the items from the last command. It should look something like 192.168.0.1 Once you have this you will need to type ping 192.168.0.1 (where 192.168.0.1 is whatever your default gateway is) You will then have four outputs let me know what they say.

Thanks.

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it said reply from 192.168.0.3 destination host unreachable
request timed out
ping stats - packets sent = 4, received = 1, lost = 3 (75% loss)

thank you :D

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What address did you ping?

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the default gateway one it was 192.168.0.1

thank you

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok, so it failed three times? How are you trying to connect wired or wireless? Do the same on the laptop your on now ping 192.168.0.1 and just let me know if it looks like this:ping success.gif

Advertisements

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
trying to connect wireless, yep it looked like that when i did it on this one.
thanks

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What is the make and model of your router and of your laptop? Also, what does your wireless icon look like on your laptop? what happens if your right click on the icon and select troubleshoot problems? Have you entered the security key correctly?

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the router is from sky it is a sagem, the laptop is HP G62-a21SA
the security key is all fine
i tried to troubleshoot the connection problems but it said it couldn't fix them

i just did a system restore and it's now working! i'm not hopeful it will last though because it has been a bit off and on, maybe it will though. if not i will be back for more help!

thank you for all your help and advice anyway :D

Beckie101

Beckie101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok so i knew not to speak to soon, it's now not working again, it says it can't connect to the netwrok. i don't understand why one minute it will and the next it won't! aghh, very frustrating.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If its working after a system restore it means you must have installed something or changed some settings to stop it working because the system restore just undoes any changes since the last restore point. If your connection is not steady I suggest you download the latest drivers for your wireless adapter.

Thanks.