Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old computer with issues, please help

• Please log in to reply

dosu761

dosu761

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First, let me say that I am not computer savvy. I was given this computer because my other one fried. This computer came from a college, bought by my neice for $50.

Intel Pentium III processor 730MHz, 256MB of RAM with Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Office 2003.

I have been trying to clean it up. Ran all of the malware guides, it had many infections. I am wanting to remove Office 2003 but I do not know if I will cause damage to the system. It is so slow at startup. My other computer was only 3 years old and I know that this one is near antique. But it is all that I have for now. Can someone spare some time to help me? Thank you so much.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try using this from Microsoft.
Office 2003 Removal Tool

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Start by adding some RAM 256 mo is not enough, some P3 motherbaord could only accept 512mo of ram as maximum but others you can add more so verify your motherboard model and add as much memory as you can and you will see a difference just remember that it is a P3.

As far as removing Office 2003 you can without causing problem, if you do you will not be able to use it but that depends on you. Instead you can stop Office from loading at startup if you want.

You can also check what are your programs loading at start up and only leaves the basics ones to shorten your load up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the system is a brand name please post the make and model. We can then see what the ram configuration is and how much total ram can be added.
As for the startup issue you can do the following and we can advise what to get rid of from there.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.