Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Damaged USB port = broken computer?

• Please log in to reply

Skytteflickan88

Skytteflickan88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I broke my laptop permanently.

I was going to put the headset cord into it's hole(yes, I'm n00b enough not to know what it's called) , but I wasn't looking and I think I instead shoved it into the USB port. Hard. It went black immediatly and hasn't responded since.

I've dropped my laptop several times or misstreated it in other ways so it just shut down, but it has always responded after a day or two, but I'm not sure it will this time.

Do you guys know how much damage this could have done? Hard and expensive to fix or not? Could the entire hardware be effected?

It's a Packard Bell, and it's a couple of years old, so I'm going to ask different companies what they think it would cost to fix it. It might even be cheaper buying a real simple laptop instead of sending this one to repair. Like I'm said, I'll be asking around, but I would like some real geeks opinions so I won't be screwed by the repair people.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
More than likely you shorted out the +5 volts (USB uses +5 volts). To repair may be expensive, depends on the shop and how honest they are. Motherboards have fuses on them for many circuits and it's likely it was just a fuse that blew. Hard to tell unless someone looks at it. And yes, it could affect the entire system... and is probably why it won't start up anymore. You'll have to take it into a shop, but its good you plan to get estimates.