Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Connect to Internet - Unidentified Network, No Network Access

• Please log in to reply

Ramune

Ramune

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello Geeks to Go!

I recently bought a dell Studio XPS 8100 running 64-bit Windows 7. The computer worked flawlessly for about 1.5-2 weeks and then I ran into an internet issue. I am unable to connect to my wireless network via my internal WiFi card, which is a DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card.

I have another PC about 3 feet away from of it that does connect to my wireless using an external wireless adapter. However, the adapter does not connect when plugged into the problem computer.

Since I don't have much stuff on the new computer I went ahead and tried a system restore but it did not fix the problem. Dell did not provide me with a Windows 7 installation disc (quite lame, I know) so I can't just do a clean wipe without shelling out some cash for a new OS.

Thank you! I will gladly provide any other information you need!

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Have you changed anything on your system recently or installed any new hardware? Can you connect to the router using a wire rather than wireless? Have you ran a virus scan?

By the way when you say

Dell did not provide me with a Windows 7 installation disc (quite lame, I know) so I can't just do a clean wipe without shelling out some cash for a new OS.

Yes dell don't provide you with an installation disc but they do provide you with a recovery partition. This will restore your computer to the way it was when it arrived erasing everything since then. I'm not advising you do this but just thought I'd let you know. More info available here:
Dell recovery

Thanks.

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The only thing I have changed on my computer recently that I can recall is that I installed Rosetta Stone on it. I removed Rosetta Stone but still cannot use the internet.

I just tried connecting to my router using an ethernet cable and was unable to access the internet.

A quick scan of McAfee reported zero issues found.

Also,

dell don't provide you with an installation disc but they do provide you with a recovery partition.

Thank you, that is quite useful information :D

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Please try the following:

1. Click the Start button.
2. In the Search box, type: Command Prompt
3. Right-click the Command Prompt icon, and choose "Run as administrator".
4. Enter the admin credentials and you are ready to go.
5. Type netsh int ip reset
6. Wait for the previous command to finish then type: netsh winsock reset

Let me know if that does anything

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried the netsh int ip reset and the netsh winsock reset.

Command prompt said that the tasks were completed successfully but I still cannot access the internet through the wired or wireless connections.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Make sure your computer settings are still setup correctly please do the following:

1.) Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2.) Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.) Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.

4.) To specify IPv4 IP address settings automatically, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.

5.) Do the same for IPv6.

Edited by hendaz, 22 September 2010 - 01:44 PM.

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just checked and both IPv4 and IPv6 were and are set to Obtain IP Address Automatically, yet still no internet. ><

Edited by Ramune, 23 September 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is it possible for my internet to be repaired or should I use the recovery partition?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can try to uninstall and reinstall the wifi card.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please click on the start button.
Select control panel.
Select Hardware and sound.
Select device manager (first row left hand side).
right Click on the wireless adaptor (you may have to click the arrow at the left of network adaptors).
Look for a messege that says "this device is working correctly", or "drivers could not load".
If the messege says the device is working correctly, close out the properties window.
right click the wireless adaptor and selct uninstall.
Than reboot your computer in to safe mode with networking.
(As the computer is rebooting repeatedly press the F8 key untill you get the boot options menu, select safe mode with networking.)
Can you connect wirelessly in safe mode with networking?

Advertisements

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, I cannot connect wirelessly in Safe Mode with Networking.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Did you look in device manager for any messeges
If there is a messege that states the drivers could not load (error code 10)
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh, sorry. It says "This device is working properly."

I assume I should not do that registry edit if it is working properly, but let me know if I should still do it.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
http://windows7theme...-windows-7.html

Follow Step 3

Ramune

Ramune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I repaired and reset the winsock catalog. After reboot I still am unable to connect to the internet.

I am willing to restore the factory settings (using the Dell recovery partition, I guess) if you think that would help.