Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 beeps, no start up

• Please log in to reply

jayy_1122

jayy_1122

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I was messing around with my Bios settings like a curious person not knowing much, changed something on the speed or something with memory. When I saved settings and exited the computer rebooted, 3 beeps then shut off. Every time I try to turn it on it beeps 3 times. Ii have been going through forums, i have moved the BIOS configuration jumper to try to reset and taken out the CMOS battery. Still everytime turn it on same 3 beeps and nothing on the monitor. Have I fried my computer or what? the mother board is an intel d945gcl. Any help would be appreciated. I have thousands of family photos on my hard drive and am worried about losing everything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Different bios have different meanings for the beep codes.
Looks to be either a Keyboard error or Base 64K RAM failure

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
For the Intel D945gtl here at the 3 beep codes

Memory error = Three long beeps

Thermal warning = Four alternating beeps:
High tone, low tone, high tone, low tone

Here in the pic attach are the Bios Recovery Jumper settings for your PC

Hope this helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 20 September 2010 - 02:33 PM.

jayy_1122

jayy_1122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ya it is 3 long beeps. I found the same diagram for the jumper but i am unsure what to do. I tried starting it up under both settings with the pin in, but haven't located my recovery disk yet. Both ways on startup gave me the same 3 beep code. Very frustrating. So I guess maybe find the recovery disk and take the pin out and try it? What a hassle, i feel dumb for being too curious. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
How many sticks of Ram do you have in the board?
Replace the jumper cap to the correct position, if you have one stick of ram try it in the other slot and re-boot see how that goes, if you have 2 sticks remove them both then try one in the opposite slot to the one it was in and see how that works out, do the same with the other stick, if they both work try them both together in the opposite slots that they started in.