Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Mboard & CPU

• Please log in to reply

Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought Starcraft 2, only to find out that my processor (a socket 939) was too slow to run it. (Ouch.)
So while scanning through the Fry's Electronics ad today, I found an AMD Athlon 3.10ghz CPU for $40.
I need a new motherboard to get the new socket (AM3) and install the CPU. I wanted to make that before I went out and bought them
that I'd be fine to upgrade.

I'm currently running with:
Windows XP
2 Gigs of RAM
1 PCI-E video card
1 PCI Sound Card
1 PCI USB Card
Board: MSI AMETHYST-M 1.0
Processor:2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
2 Hard Drives
2 CD Drives

Also, are motherboards a universal size or do they vary? Thank you for the help in advance!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
A couple of things...
Is this a home built computer or is it an OEM (HP,DELL, Compaq)?

If your plan is to upgrade just the motherboard and processor, then as long as the new motherboard will accept the other components you already have, then you should be ok. Your current motherboard uses 184 pin ram modules. Since you didn't specify which motherboard you plan to purchase, make sure it also takes the same 184 pin ram type or you'll have to buy new ram. The other thing is the PCI-E vid card. You don't state if its 1 or 2, but most motherboards have backwards capability... so, also make sure the new motherboard will support your vid card. The rest of the hardware will work as long as there are enough slots/ports for them. I am assuming your hard drives are Sata... if they're IDE, then the new motherboard has to support IDE. Basically, check all the hardware against the new motherboard.

However, that first question I asked is quite important for considering the upgrades you mention. If your current computer is an OEM, then you cannot upgrade the motherboard as the OS is tied to it in the form of the license. This means that if your current computer is an OEM, and you change the motherboard (to something other than whats in there or a manufactures replacement), you need to purchase a new copy of whatever OS you plan to run. There are legalities involved if your computer is OEM... not to mention the OS recovery software may not even load if it doesn't recognize the motherboard.

Lastly, in case you didn't know, anytime you change the motherboard, the current OS will not boot to it. It requires a reinstallation of the OS... along with any programs you have on the computer. And always, before you start messing with a Windows installation on a current computer or hard drive, back up your data first!

Monkeymshr21

Monkeymshr21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is an OEM (An HP). So even if I were to buy a new motherboard and a new OS, they would not work?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

My computer is an OEM (An HP). So even if I were to buy a new motherboard and a new OS, they would not work?

They would... as long as you make sure your hardware is supported by the new motherboard.

EDITED... actually, I'm not sure what question I'm answering here... what are you referring to when you ask... "they would not work?" You are talking about the hardware, correct?