Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KSOD...? But not?

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Aight so I've got some kinda black screen of death, except it's happening to me a step earlier than most people who get it. I don't even get to the log-in screen, and after a mediocre little loading bar that appears to be loading windows comes up after prompting me to Start Windows Normally/Last well known settings/safe mode etc, everything just disappears, and goes black. No mouse icon, no loading, nothing to type, it's just blank. Safe mode tries to launch and it'll just lock up at the list of files and not go beyond that. I've googled and looked through the forum at other similar posts but every solution requires being able to take particular action that my machine is incapable of doing, as all it can do is try to load something and go blank.

Any ideas? All I cared about was just having an operational machine until my new hardware shipped here on Thursday (GFX Card and CPU).

The OS is Vista 64-bit, and it's a fresh install on a brand new HDD. I've only installed a GPU driver for my current video card, and a driver for my wireless adapter. Only software installed is Malwarebytes, Trillian, and CCleaner. The last thing I did with my computer was try to insert a CD and launch it. The CD failed to run anything, so I gave up, turned off the system, and went to work. Now I got home and it's going blank.

Currently trying to get my Vista CD to load with boot priority over the HDD, and do some kinda startup repair/system restore, but it's not even loading beyond the windows background when it "loads" all the files once I boot from CD. I'm at a standstill.

Any ideas G2G?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 20 September 2010 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Remove the power cord from the wall before doing the following and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
Remove the silver CR2032 MB battery for a few moments and then replace it;
Remove and re-seat securely the video card and the Ram, check all connections are secure and check the video card for signs of overheating, re-assemble and upon boot up go into BIOS re-set the time and date, save and exit.
It may be a driver or a Ram issue but do the above and see how it works out.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
It.. seems to have worked? Before you posted a response I changed some ACPI settings in the BIOS and it launched.
After I restarted my computer this morning I got more blank screen, so I took out the CMOS battery for a while.

It's still really awkward and sits at a blank screen for a while before starting.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 22 September 2010 - 12:47 PM.