Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox cannot connect to my pc

• Please log in to reply

daccas

daccas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

I really need some help please. I'm having problems connecting my xbox to my PC. The weird thing is, when I restart the router it sometimes does read the PC and I can stream. When I then turn the xbox off and back on, it fails to connect. I then have to restart the router again while the xbox is on - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have Windows XP SP3 a BT Home Hub 2.0 router and connect to the xbox with a cat5 cable. I originally tried streaming via Windows Media Centre but I don't think my operating systems is compatbile as SP3 is not an option on the xbox/setup page and there is nowhere to enter the code the xbox gives me. Therefore, I've been streaming through Tversity. I only have 1 firewall runnung (windows), I've allowed all relevant exceptions and I've opened the suggested ports (it still worked before I did all this). It just doesnt make sense how it connects when I restart the router but not when I don't.

Re-setting my router every time is a pain and it doesn't even work every time. Any ideas?

Dave

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I haven't personally used Tversity so I can't help on that front but I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Only the following editions of windows have the media centre and so if you don't have any of these editions then you can't stream using media centre:

* Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium
* Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium
* Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

However, I don't use media centre myself I prefer just to use the standard file sharing. I suggest trying to share files this way as all the necessary firewall ports etc will be opened for you. Basically you just have to go into media player and click on share my media and make sure the device selected is the xbox. The full guide is available here provided your using Windows XP: Xbox Streaming Guide

Thanks.

daccas

daccas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Hendaz,

Thanks for your response. I have already gone through Windows Media Player and selected to allow my xbox to be shared with my PC. How do I then access the content through the xbox without using Media Center (which as you say i can't use as I don't have the right version of XP).

Dave

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
It depends which software version your xbox has but the idea is the same throughout. Basically, you just ignore media centre all together and browse to whatever media you want if you want to listen to music find the music tab, video find the video tab etc. You don't have a centralized location you have to choose which media type first but then when you have chosen you are presented with a list like disc, usb etc and you just click your computer which should appear and the media list will be presented. Scroll down to the bottom of this article it's a bit old but should help: http://helpdeskgeek....-video-to-xbox/

daccas

daccas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's great - thanks