Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD loop

• Please log in to reply

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, my laptop is a compaq presario v2000 running windows xp home edition. I've got the BSOD and it runs in a loop. It won't start in safe mode and the error I'm getting is 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x85782efo, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000). I'm not sure how to fix it. I've read online that you have to fix it with the OS disc but I don't have that. I have the registry key but no one I know has a copy of XP home edition. I do have a copy of windows Xp pro. Can I fix it with that? If not is there another way I can fix it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D
I'm sorry to hear about your issue but we will see if it can be resolved.
If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok I made it to step 4 and now it doesnt give me the opition of the admin password. It just says D:\MiniNT>
What do i do with this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
try C:\ and let me know what it does.

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it didn't work.It says, The command is not recognized Type help for a list of supported commands.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Type the following and then click Enter
cd \

Does it now go to a C prompt?

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Now it has gone to D:\>

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok by sheer dumb luck i got it to go to C:\>. now I'll continue with the steps

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Now step 9 isn't working. It says the path or file specified is not valid.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Continue on the next line of the instructions tells you what to do if the error message comes up.

Advertisements

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok now when i enter cd \ it says the path or file specified is not valid. Then i enter cd windows\system32\config and it says the path or file specified is not valid. Then I enter ren system system.bak and it says the rename operation failed. So i kept following the steps and exited and restarted. I entered dir and it said an error occurred during directory enumeration. So what next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm sounds like a Repair Installation is needed. To do that you will need a XP disk of the same type you have installed...Home, media or Pro
First lets try a few things.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

If you can't do this right now then do the following.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok it finished the chkdsk and it said it found a couple of errors and fixed them. So I started windows normally to see if it worked and it got passed the BSOD. The problem now is some of my programs aren't working. Did I jump the gun?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun chkdsk /r again from windows if you can by doing the following.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Also what do you mean by your programs are not working?
Are you getting error messages or something else?

Dumptruck53

Dumptruck53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Also what do you mean by your programs are not working?
Are you getting error messages or something else?
[/quote]

I tried using my malware program and it wouldn't open and the same with Internet explorer. I was able to run regcure and it found errors but because I haven't paid for the update it would only repair one of the 60 errors