Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen code

• Please log in to reply

Kellyman

Kellyman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to help a friend (this really is not for me) whose computer is rather out-dated. He is currently running XP and was the saddened recipient of the "blue screen of death." The message stated "rbrxhsqy.sys failed to run" My question would be this: Is it time for a clean install, or is some other nefarious gremlin at work?

Thanks!

Kellyman

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D Sorry to hear your friend is having a issue with the system.
A couple of questions first.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand system and if so what make and model?
When is the error message showing up.. during bootup, windows start, in windows or while trying to run a specific program?
If the bootup is where it is happening please do the following.
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Kellyman

Kellyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:D Sorry to hear your friend is having a issue with the system.
A couple of questions first.
Is this a laptop or desktop? DESKTOP
Name brand system and if so what make and model? I HAVE NO IDEA, BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS AT LEAST 12 YEARS OLD!
When is the error message showing up.. during bootup, windows start, in windows or while trying to run a specific program? IT CRASHED WHILE IT WAS IN WINDOWS.
If the bootup is where it is happening please do the following.

* Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
* Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
* Click Enter to disable it
* The system should reboot and if not then do so.
* When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I THINK WE WILL TRY A REPAIR DISC OR DO THE CLEAN INSTALL. THE PROBLEM IS THE MACHINE IS WAY PAST ITS PRIME.