Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade and Compatability

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I built a computer two and a half years ago and I think it's about time for an upgrade. I'm only looking at replacing the motherboard, RAM, CPU, and a new case for it.

I'm looking at
8GB of DDR3 Corsair XMS3 memory

Asus P7P55D-E Pro Motherboard

Intel Core i7 860 (just 80 bucks more than an i5)

And an HAF X case

Any input on these parts are welcome of course but my main question was about the RAM, it's listed as quad channel and the motherboard supports dual channel. Will it work just fine or would I see issues? It was easier, and for not much more,to buy the 8GB instead of a 4GB(2x2) then 2GB(2x1) setup. I prefer having 6GB for a little extra head room.

I'd be reusing three hard drives, a 5870, and my 750W PSU. I was also thinking about reusing the H50 cooler I have.

Edited by ADNoland, 21 September 2010 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Dual, triple, or quad mean nothing as far as the RAM or motherboard compatibility are concerned. All that means is the modules in the packaging are of the same specs. Long ago (dual-channel has been around for almost 10 years), it meant they were tested to ensure they exactly matched but chipsets have become more tolerant of differences and advances in RAM manufacturing technology has resulted in all RAM of the same specs having much tighter tolerances.

So, when you see RAM packaged as dual, triple or quad, that is simply marketing and packaging labeling to get consumers to buy in quantity. It also means the RAM makers save money in packaging and printing costs by sticking 2, 3, or 4 sticks in one package. The advantage to consumers is convenience and hopefully, the maker has passed some of that savings on to consumers and buying sets is cheaper, if only a little, than individually.

Since that motherboard is dual-channel, you need your RAM in pairs to take advantage of dual-channel. Quad is just 2 x dual.

I don't see an OS listed. Understand that you are building a new computer therefore you MUST buy a new Windows license. You CANNOT use a Windows disk that came with or was bought for another computer. That is stealing - illegal use of copyrighted software. The ONLY exception is if the Windows license is a "retail" license that was purchased separately at a retail outlet and that is not typical. So again, cannot use an OEM or upgrade license that was purchased for another computer on a new computer. Period.

Also, note that if the Intel CPU you buy is a "retail" or "boxed" version that comes with an Intel supplied heatsink fan assembly, using ANY other cooler besides the one provided by Intel voids the warranty! AMD has the same policy.

As far as the Windows licensing and CPU warranties, I'm just the messenger. If you want proof, it is in your Windows EULA and on the Intel CPU Warranty Information and AMD CPU Warranty Information pages.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
That was very informative about the RAM, thank you. I had no idea that using a non stock heatsink would render your warranty void on your CPU either! I would be reusing a copy of Windows 7 though that I bought. I'm assuming I'll have some issues though since this is a fairly large upgrade so I'm guessing I'll need to call MS for reactivation of my copy.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I would be reusing a copy of Windows 7 though that I bought.

If that is an OEM or upgrade version, you cannot use it on this new computer.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I preordered the home premium upgrade version since I already owned a retail copy of Vista.