Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Reboots Randomly

• Please log in to reply

cosycoupe

cosycoupe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I recently installed Windows 7 on a machine that was running XP previously. The install went fine, but ever since i have been having issues with the computer restarting and saying that windows has recovered from an error. It got bad enough at one point that there was actually an audilbe warning regarding something about over clocked CPU, even though i have never done this to the machine. There is a decent amount of dust in the case and i am going to clean that, as well as i have downloaded a popular fan monitoring software to see if thats the issue. My only concern is that the computer wont stay on long enough to monitor the temperature for a prolonged period of time.

Currently the operating system is a brand new install and i have nothing else on the computer at all. No personal files or anything. Any suggestions on what i might check next?

Thanks,

Grant

Advertisements

cosycoupe

cosycoupe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is a diagnostic from speedfan. This ran for about 1 hour with the PC idle. I am not exactly sure about how to read it though.

Posted Image

windsicle

windsicle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can't help you, but I have this issue as well. I have recently went from XP to Windows 7 and since then I have had random restarts with serious error code. The information displayed about the minidumps is not useful to me and I haven't been able to figure out anything from it. Someone has mentioned to me that maybe my hard drive is going out, but it seems more than coincidental that this only started happening after running Windows 7. I've researched and found a variety of causes, and several ways to try and run tests, but none of them have been useful.