Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All fonts appear in bold

• Please log in to reply

Racingal60

Racingal60

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
After loading an update on my computer for some company software, all the fonts on my desktop and else where went to bold. In my outlook even the opened emails appear as unopened (I cannot tell the difference.) I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers, I've tried working through the desktop/properties/appearance etc. NOTHING works - has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

My computer is running Microsoft XP Professional.
Please help!!!!

Edited by Racingal60, 21 September 2010 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Font Cache troubleshooting

If your fonts are not appearing correctly in the font menu or in documents (“garbled” is a common term for this), then one of the best solutions is to clear your font cache. Depending upon your system and application programs, this may entail deleting multiple font cache files.

What is a font cache file?
These are files used by the operating system and certain applications to keep track of what fonts are installed. If the font cache gets corrupted a variety of problems can ensue, including fonts not appearing in the font list in an application, or wrong fonts (or missing fonts) in documents.

How to clear the font cache
The best approach to delete the font cache file(s). It’s OK to delete these files, as they will automatically be restored once your system is restarted, or when you relaunch an application.
Windows 2000/XP/Vista

The Windows operating system has a font cache file that is located here:
C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT
Delete this file, and restart your system. A new FNTCACHE.DAT file will be created on startup.

Source

Disclaimer... I personally never had a Font problem, so I've never tried this. However, the source is correct to state that cache file(s) do get recreated at Startup. If you are wary about trying this solution, please at minimum, create a System Restore Point first.

Note that the program you just updated may have a font cache also and it may have been corrupted when you updated the program. I'm not familiar with your program, but you may need to check it out.

makai

Racingal

Racingal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please note that I tried the above suggestion, but it did not fix my problem. I ended up spending 2 1/2 hours on the phone with my company's tech support and he ended up resetting the defaults in my registry. I don't know which entries or what, but it did fix the problem. Thank you for your suggestion.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm glad you got things fixed! Thanks for letting us know! :D