Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop fan busted. [CAN I CONTINUE USAGE?]

• Please log in to reply

Matt3232

Matt3232

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You probably get a large number of these threads so I apologise, but I'm currently experiencing problems with my HP G61 notebook PC which uses the operating system Windows 7. I was playing a game earlier when my computer started becoming increasing hot like it had been for a while now and was blowing increasing amounts of warm air. I decided to gently blow into my side vent (it seemed a good idea at the time) and the noise/air blowing came to an abrupt end and has never re-started. (My BIOS is set to fan always in use.) I haven't cleaned inside my computer before as I am worried I may harm something inside. I would like to add that speedfan brings up 0 fans to monitor. So my questions are:

1) Is this a simple case of taking my laptop to a computer repair shop and getting my laptop cleaned inside or is the likelyhood that my fan is busted? If It is the latter, what sort of price should I be looking to pay for the repairs?

2) I have since rebooted my laptop and have set my power settings to the lowest possible power saving settings, will it be fine to continue use of my laptop without 'frying' the motherboard causing further damange? (Obviously just surfing the internet rather than returning into my game.)

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Matt3232, 22 September 2010 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is very important to keep the cooling vents clear at all times. Vents enable to the computer to keep cool, and excess heat can slow down the operation of your computer or, damage critical components, such as the system boar or the processor.

To answer the first question is almost impossible since it will depend on the shop and their labor rates.
Is the laptop still under warranty and if so have you talked to HP about a warranty repair?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If the fan is what is wrong, then replacing it should not be too expensive. Fans are not very expensive and once the technician has it exposed, replacing it is not that difficult or time consuming. But, if it is not the fan, then troubleshooting time can add up. Still, I would take it in (if not under warranty - and if that is the case, call it in) and see what they say.

Note for the future, you should regularly clean your computer. But you should never let compressed air spin a fan as it can cause the fan to spin faster than designed. So I always use a wooden Popsicle stick (you can buy bags of them for a couple bucks at a crafts store - they are often called glue applicator sticks) to carefully hold the fans stationary before blasting clean.