Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have a Gateway M-Series laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. It is blue screening on boot with "Unmountable Boot Volume."

I tried to reach the Recovery Console, but the computer didn't come with disks. I ordered recovery disks from Gateway hoping that this would make a difference, but the disks only allow the option of restoring the computer to factory defaults.

Is there another way to get into Recovery Console that I'm missing?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Normally its launched from within the OS, you can try booting using F11 from the BIOS screen.

Also, an unmountable boot volume a lot of times is caused by a failing hard drive.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
After chatting with Gateway support they informed me that there is no way to reach a "Repair" mode or a recovery console with their laptop or with their systems. They insisted that the only way to do any type of recovery is to restore the system to factory defaults.

Very disappointing.

I do realize that the harddrive may be failing, but I would have loved to have had at least an opportunity to get Windows back up and running long enough to troubleshoot it properly.

Shameel M K: http://support.gatew...15910su12.shtml
Shameel M K: Brady, the above weblink contains steps for performing the system recovery from the Recovery Partition.
Shameel M K: Make sure that you back up your files before performing the Recovery as it erases all files from the system.

Brady Gilbert: OK, then this is not what I need. How do I access Microsft Recovery Console
Brady Gilbert: Even the error message I have on my laptop says "Insert your windows installation dsc an restart your computer. Click repair your computer." This is why I ordered the disk, but it does not give an option to "Repair the computer," only to Restore to Factory Defaults. I either need recovery console, or I need "Repair your computer."
Shameel M K: There will not be a Microsoft Recovery Console.
Shameel M K: If you need further help regarding this Recovery, I suggest you contact our Pay for Support Team, they will help you more.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Is your machine still under warranty?

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Unfortunately no.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics first to determine if you have a failing drive. If the drive is OK, then you will have to order recovery discs from Gateway...they usually cost around $30-$40.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
That is the problem. I ordered the recovery disks, but the only option on them when you insert them is "Restore to Factory Defaults."

I was really hoping to repair the system instead of just re-doing it. Thanks for your help..

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
My apologies, I misread your OP.

Refer to post #2 by rschaffer61 here.

Jordi Ruiz

Jordi Ruiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, I recommend you to boot your PC with a CD like Winternals ERD commander and try to do a scandisk.
I usually type in the console chkdsk c: /f /r
If this option can't repair your hard drive try to boot with a Ubuntu live CD and go to the system menu and choose Disk Utility from the Administration option. When the program is open select your hard drive and click in Check Filesystem.
If these 2 options don't work possibly your hard drive are broken.