Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup and running slow

• Please log in to reply

really frustrated

really frustrated

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi!

I have had so many problems with my computer. It was practically locked up, so I re-imaged it back to factory settings. Then I began re-installing a few things that were essentials. I've done the anti-malware stuff and it looks like all is ok. However, my startup takes about 7 to 8 minutes.

I have an external hard drive that I use for all of my important docs, music and pics. I was afraid to even turn it on with the machine until I had it back to "normal", but have had to access it several times now. I want to know if this thing is fixable. Terrified I will lose all on my external hard drive.

I'm running Vista service pack 2 on a 32 bit operating system.

Few things I've noted: before I re-imaged, I was having trouble with Firefox, Explorer, Flashplayer, Java. I tried all the possible combinations I could before finally relenting. Everything I seemed to be doing online crashed for one reason or another. In addition, my HP all-in-one printer started having driver problems. I uninstalled each of the above and re-installed. Updated the driver from HP web-site directly, also. Was having odd things happening when I tried to use the keyboard and mouse - kept popping up with a window asking me to configure my keyboard keys, so I plugged in another keyboard. Every once in a while, it happens again, but I re-boot and sometimes it's successful. I can tell when it won't be because if I type more than four characters (say, my password, etc.), the computer shuts down by itself. My external hard drive re-names itself almost every time I attach another hardware item (phone, memory card, etc.) to another drive. It's been everything from H: to now M:.

I'm worried I might have done something early on, like - could there be two instances of windows running? Before I used this system, I had my hard drive attached to a different one with XP. Also, could I have screwed up the partitions?

Help! I know just enough to be dangerous and I'm afraid the further I go, the more messed up I will make it!

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi really frustrated
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
Until you provide the above information it will be more difficult for people
to assist you, the slow start ups could be anything from too many applications
running on boot up or a failing or nearly full capacity HDD and even a psu
that is beginning to weaken.

I've done the anti-malware stuff and it looks like all is ok

You need to be positive of this and I would suggest you get the all clear from
the Malware Forum to be certain, provide them with a link to this thread to
show them what if any steps you have taken to try resolving the issue.
You can use Speccy to find out most of the information about your computer but
if the computer is a desktop you will need to provide the psu information
yourself, this will require a physical check if you don`t know it already and
if you need assistance feel free to ask.

really frustrated

really frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok, I can run them again and I will post to that forum??

Also, you said I could use speccy. is that a program that will tell all about my computer? I guess I'll get to that. I am a bit confused though (not suprising), how do I take this thread and post it in the malware forum? Sounds easy, but I think I'm making my situation worse by not using the correct means of communication. In the meantime....I will run the anti-mailaware steps. Thank you so much@

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes speccy is a software that will provide you with information about your computer but see post #2 regarding the psu information we need.
To provide the Malware Forum with a link to this thread, go to the Address Bar at the top of the page and then copy/paste it into your thread at the Malware Forum ( I can help if you are unsure but I head off to work soon).
If you require any further assistance feel free to ask, but at this time if you could only provide the system hardware information that we will need should you get the all clear from the Malware Guys but not resolve the issue/s.