Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cleveriehooker.jeired

• Please log in to reply

jilltchr

jilltchr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi...first time to this site...hoping you can help a novice. I too have the cleveriehooker.jeired. I spoke with microsoft on the phone, but the steps they took me through didn't eleviate the problem. I'm not sure how knowledgeable the fella was that I spoke to. He said I should back up my files and call gateway to restart my system. I really don't want to do that unless I've tried EVERYTHING! So...here I am... can you please walk me through the steps?

Advertisements

jilltchr

jilltchr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I too have the hooker! I have also tried adaware etc. I followed your advice in this post and downloaded hijackthis. However, when I saved it to my desktop and tried to open it, one of the problems I am having is that when I try to run a program, I double click on it, the screen opens but shuts immediately which doesn't give me enough time to click on the scan button or read the screen. Can you tell me how to solve this? Would I be able to go into safe mode to run hijackthis?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Jill, I merged your topic to avoid confusion in the other topic.

There is a variant of the Coolwebsearch trojan spreading that closes several anti-spyware apps when you try to open them. Click Here, save, unzip, and run this file. After it does its job, HijackThis will run properly.