Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking a Printer to Multiple PC's

• Please log in to reply

DiscGolfGuy

DiscGolfGuy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have two PC's connected to a router so that both can access the Internet. I have hooked up a printer to one PC and it is working fine for that computer. I now want to share the printer with the second PC, but am not really sure how to do that.
My steps so far have been as follows:
On the PC the printer is hooked directly to, I have gone to Start, Printers and Faxes, selected Properties for the printer in use, selected the Sharing tab, and checked the "Share this printer" box.
So, what do I do now to make the second PC recognize this printer?

Both computers use Windows XP Professional Version 2002

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

DiscGolfGuy

DiscGolfGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

Checked out the tutorial and followed all the steps for the post, "File and Print Share Setup...Windows XP...Print Share".

Followed all instruction for the PC that the printer is connected directly to. Ran into a problem when I tried to access the shared printer from the second PC. From the second PC, I went to...control panel, printers and faxes, and under "printer tasks" selected "add printer" then clicked next. The "Add Printer Wizard" popped up and I followed the steps as outlined.
The first problem I ran into was my "Add Printer Wizard" did not look the same as the "Add Printer Wizard" in the tutorial. The tutorial shows a "Find a printer in the directory" option, whereas on my PC it shows "Browse for a printer". I figure they both basically mean the same, so it may not be a problem after all.
However, when I get to the "Browse for Printer" window in the "Add Printer Wizard" on my second PC, this is what it shows under Shared printers: Microsoft Windows Network

That's it. It does not show the name of the printer under "Microsoft Windows Network". When I try to type the name of the printer in the Printer: text box, I get a window that pops up that says the following:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help."

Any ideas?

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder•
click Start and then click Control Panel.
Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer
I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.
I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.
That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.
Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.
To connect to the printer

I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

I clicked Add a Printer.

Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

if that doesn't work check this site
http://tips4pc.com/a..._windows_xp.htm

Edited by dennisK16, 23 September 2010 - 11:10 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, if you're going to type the name of the printer in the "browse" box, you've got to put \\hostcomputername\printersharename in the list (so if your computer is named steve and the printer is shared as laserjet it would be \\steve\laserjet)

DiscGolfGuy

DiscGolfGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder•
click Start and then click Control Panel.
Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer
I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.
I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.
That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.
Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.
To connect to the printer

I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

I clicked Add a Printer.

Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

if that doesn't work check this site
http://tips4pc.com/a..._windows_xp.htm

Followed all steps and still no luck. Read and followed instructions at http://tips4pc.com/a..._windows_xp.htm and still no luck. Typed out name of the printer in the "browse" box in the following format \\hostcomputername\printersharename and it did not work. The instructions provided by you all is pretty straight forward. I'm at a loss.
I believe the computer the printer is attached to is set up correctly for print sharing. The icon in the "Printers and Faxes" window has a check mark above it ( I believe that means it is selected as the default printer) and there is a hand under the icon that denotes sharing is enabled.
Again, on the second computer that does not have the printer directly connected to it, when I select "add printer" the "Add Printer Wizard" pops up. I select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" then click "next". Then I select "Browse for a printer" then click "next". Here I see a "Printer" text box where I can type out the computer name and printer name in the \\hostcomputername\printersharename format. There is also a box titled "Shared printers". In that box it lists, "Microsoft Windows Network". Nothing else but that.
I noticed on the computer where the printer is directly connected, it lists "Microsoft Windows Network" with the Workgroup name underneath it. On the second computer it only lists "Microsoft Windows Network", but there is no Workgroup name listed underneath that.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
[attachment=44930:printer1.JPG]
leave the name blank and click next it should browse a list of computers on the network select the computer with the printer connected to it you should get a printer to connect too
if this doesn't work can you post a print screen from what you doing?

DiscGolfGuy

DiscGolfGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

[attachment=44930:printer1.JPG]
leave the name blank and click next it should browse a list of computers on the network select the computer with the printer connected to it you should get a printer to connect too
if this doesn't work can you post a print screen from what you doing?

PM sent!