Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Locked HDD

• Please log in to reply

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
hello all,

i got a slight problem, i got a bunch of 80 GB seagate drive but these are locked they were used by a dutch phone company in a storage unit.
but they are locked if i test them with sea-tools and WHEN they pass put them on a system the system bios say's that the capacity is 0, but when i put them on another system (different brand) it say's the right capacity.when i look in sea-tools it say's the capacity is 9323454392.29 gb. then i try to install windows xp on them i run in to the same problem, NOT all system will install windows on it, the one that says the the capacity 0 is will install and the on that says the right capacity won't.
I've try ed to low level format it, still get the same problem, try ed Fdisk removing the partition and creating a new one still the same problem.
i got it to show up in the bios as a 80.08 GB drive now but am still running in to the problem that on the start-up screen it say's that the capacity 0 is
and the installing problem is still there too, I'm running out of ideas and was wondering if one of you will have some more ideas for me to try on these [bleep] drive they are driving me crazy lol. here some drive specs

Seagate 80 GB IDE drive firmware: 6.09

I've try ed changing jumper setting too

Thanks,

Dennis

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I have locked this thread pending staff review.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Seems okay to me. Not like a locked notebook drive. In fact, I've never heard of a locked desktop drive?

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
why did it get locked ?

I have locked this thread pending staff review.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
they weren't desktop drive in they were used for mass storage! they put something on there that i cant get removed
all my computer settings are right checked that a couple times but for some reason it doesn't register it

Edited by dennisK16, 23 September 2010 - 02:05 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Sorry Dennis. I locked it due to security concerns. I find it odd a telephone company would get rid of a bunch of disks that may contain the personal information of their customers. So I wanted to get admin involved before there might be any rules violation.

I've never heard of a locked desktop drive?

It does not happen often but it can happen when installing another OS on a drive, or also fdisk can cause it, or a failed chkdsk can leave a drive locked.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000355.htm

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
there isn't any data on the drives. i want to unlock them because i need them to register in the bios and start-up screen.
i just did some research in the company we got them from and its a phone/TV(cable) provider and these drives have been used for the TV part of the business, i'm just the tech with the request to get the "unlocked"
so i was wondering if any one knew about a program that will unlock it (we use UBCD) the one we have we can test it and format it

Edited by dennisK16, 23 September 2010 - 04:04 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This should do it if you have access to a Windows 98 CD:
http://www.computerh...com/lockhlp.htm

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

these drives have been used for the TV part of the business

Hmmm, I wonder if they were pulled from DVR devices. See http://www.weaknees....or_powermax.php

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

these drives have been used for the TV part of the business

Hmmm, I wonder if they were pulled from DVR devices. See http://www.weaknees....or_powermax.php

Okay i tried to do this and it didn't work, i get the message, no hard drive lock, so they ain't locked but for some reason they show 0 capacity!
I'm kinda stuck on this the weird part is when i run windows setup (on the system that can install it (dell and the IBM has issues)it shows a 76317MB (74.53GB) capacity. so some things see capacity and some don't and i need it to show every where

thanks you

Edited by dennisK16, 24 September 2010 - 04:09 PM.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

This should do it if you have access to a Windows 98 CD:
http://www.computerh...com/lockhlp.htm

still looking for my win98 cd lol i know i got it some where but where is the question!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
You say you've done a low-level format. That writes zeros across the entire drive, and returns it to factory condition. I would't think a Win98 disk, Linux, or any other program could do more than that. Maybe the lock is hardwired into the circuit board to only work with specific BIOS?

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
yeah i was thinking that too. but when i contact seagate they say these drives are standard from the factory and didn't get modified.
so now i got a friend of mine look at it too see if he can figure out something.
and thought i might run in too some idea's on here.
plus i like to help people with there problems

Edited by dennisK16, 24 September 2010 - 05:36 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Maybe there's a reason the phone/cable company got rid of them.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Maybe there's a reason the phone/cable company got rid of them.

may be i'm just the tech lol