Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots on new build

• Please log in to reply

bitsolo

bitsolo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so this is going to be quite long. I've been in #hardware on freenode for the past two weeks trying to figure this out.

Here are the build specs from Newegg:
  • GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2
  • SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM hdd
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (4 of these totaling 8GB
)

So I set everything up and get it running and install Windows 7 on it. I didn't use the graphics drivers for the video card in the beginning, and as a result, the display looked like crap. I ended up using the installation CD that came with the graphics card, but when I did that, I was immediately getting BSODs and reboots. I thought it was the RAM, ran a memtest from a live Ubuntu CD, and tested all the sticks. The test returned no errors. I flashed the motherboard with the new BIOS revision, but still nothing.

I ended up downloading the ATI drivers from the ATI website and still those warranted the same issues (random reboots and BSODs) even giving me a bunch of weird red lines running across the screen. I disabled the drivers and used the standard Windows graphics drivers which immediately fixed the issue. I RMA'd the graphics card and replaced it with a ASUS ENGT240/DI/512MD5/A GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 which I currently have.

Just last night I'm using the computer (haven't had a chance to really use it as I've been gone), and I got a random BSOD and a few reboots (about 4). I did a memtest on all sticks of ram again, and again no errors. One thing I'm thinking might be an issue is that my motherboard doesn't state that the particular RAM I'm using is supported. The mobo states it supports DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. The RAM I have is DDR3 but is spec'd for 1600 MHz. The system the RAM is running @ 1.5v and 1333MHz, but I enabled the Extreme Memory Profile in BIOS per G Skill's advice so it is now running @ 1600MHz.

I'm not having the same frequency of reboots, but I'd rather have none, and not have to worry about when or if my system might randomly restart. Hopefully someone can help me out. I've been trying everything, and as this is my first build, it's been quite the headache for me.

Here are some wonderful BSOD pictures for your viewing pleasure:
http://imgur.com/Y52BG&r4RLil
http://imgur.com/Y52BG.jpg

UPDATE: Recently, I haven't been able to use my computer since I've been gone, and it seemed the first thing that happened after I entered my password in the Windows login screen was a BSOD.

Advertisements