Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with simple transfer of files

• Please log in to reply

g_raham

g_raham

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello all. I have a wireless network setup at home (11mb) I have two xppcs connected to it... what would be the easiest way to swap files inbetween the two computers? The networking/shared folder option doesn't work for some reason...

Thanks

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is one or both of your computers running XP Home?
Are both computers able to connect to the Internet?
Can you go tom My Network Places and see the other computers name?
Mike

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Both are running xp home. Both can connect to the internet. And no i can't see the other computers name

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You need to go to control panel, system, and click the "Computer Name" tab. Now click the "Change" button. Make sure "workgroup" is selected and that the name in there is the same on both computers. Now make sure you have the same exact user account created on each computer. For example if you have an administrator account named "Mary" on one pc then you need an administrator account named "Mary" on the other machine. This is because when you do try to access folders on the other computer from another it will ask you for a username and password. You would enter Mary and the pwd from either one. Then if you select for windows to remember the pwd you will not be asked again.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Clarity never hurts, so forgive my reasking here because I honestly would like to know:

1) when I get to the little space in the "computer name window" that says "computer name" I should change that to the name of the other computer, in other words being two diferent names one of them has to be changed to read the same and it doesn't matter which one of the two as long as they end up as the same name, is this right?

2) what happens and how can tell that I can then transfer stuff from one computer to the other?

One again sorry to be jumping in :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You don't want to change the computer name, you want to change the workgroup name. They all have to be in the same workgroup, or else they cannot connect together.

To tell if you can transfer just try to copy a file from one computer to the other ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for your replies, i've yet to test the method out because my sister is rushing to complete an essay :S so i will have to test it out in a few days. I will post to let you know how it all go's thanks

Graham