Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Older Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No, there is no unknown device shown....In set up, it shows CD-ROM in the modular bay but nothing in device manager. I cleaned the contacts and made sure the device is seated but still nothing.

Advertisements

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No, there is no unknown device shown...F2 Set Up shows CD-ROM at modular bay but nothing in device manager. I cleaned the contacts and made sure the dvice is seated properly but still nothing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I believe that the CD drive is defective.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So I need a new device.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes. I suggest that you consider buying a USB external drive. It is versatile, you can move it from one computer to the other and is the only CD drive suitable for many of the smaller (and cheaper) laptops which do not have a built-in drive. The only thing that I am not sure of is whether your computer run USB 2.0. If it does not then the drive will work rather slowly. If you consider the above option go to "Device Manager" and expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". At least one of the items showing up must have "enhanced" in it's description. If there is none, then your computer support only USB 1.1 which is the older, much slower standard.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Just before you go out and buy an external optical drive, as this drive is inserted in a modular bay, which is multi=purpose se this from the manual. I did send you the link, that included the instructions for cleaning the pins on the modular bay.
I would run this.

Basic Checks:

* If you hear an unfamiliar scraping or grinding sound when a drive is accessed, make sure the sound is not caused by the application program that is running. The sound could be caused by a hardware malfunction. See "Getting Help" for instructions on obtaining technical assistance from Dell.
* When you turn on the computer, you can hear diskette or hard-disk drive activity during the boot routine. If your computer does not boot, call Dell for technical assistance. (See "Getting Help" for instructions.) Otherwise, see the "Dell Diagnostics."
* Test the drive indicator by typing dir x: at an MS-DOS prompt, where x is the drive letter, and pressing <Enter>.
* Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop and verify that the drive is recognized by the computer. Most of the common boot sector viruses cause the drive to "disappear." Use virus-scanning software (if Dell installed the operating system on your computer, you should already have virus-scanning software) to check for and remove any viruses.
* Clean the disc using a commercially available cleaning kit.
* Clean the drive using a commercially available cleaning kit.
* Try another CD or DVD.

NOTE: Because of different conventions currently used in the industry, not all DVD titles work in all DVD-ROM drives.

* Run the IDE Devices tests as described in "Dell Diagnostics."
* Turn off the computer and remove the drive from the modular bay. Replace the drive and turn on the computer.

If the problem still exists after you complete the basic checks, fill out the Diagnostics Checklist as you perform the following steps:

1. Save and close any open files, exit any open application programs, and shut down the computer.
2. Remove the drive from the modular bay.
3. Reinstall the drive.
4. Reboot the computer. Does the drive access light blink during the boot routine?

Yes. Go to step 6.

No. Go to step 5.

5. Remove and reinsert the drive. Reboot the computer. Does the drive access light blink during the boot routine?

Yes. Go to step 6.

No. Go to step 10.

6. Remove the hard-disk drive and boot the computer from a bootable CD. Does the drive access light blink?

Yes. Go to step 7.

No. Go to step 10.

7. Reinstall the hard-disk drive. Then check the config.sys file (in Windows 98, check the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive configuration in the Settings folder). Is the appropriate driver installed?

Yes. Go to step 8.

No. Load the driver, and return to step 1 to begin this procedure again. (To load the driver, use the ResourceCD you received with your Dell computer.)

8. Insert a bootable diskette into drive A and reboot the computer.
9. Type x:(where x is the drive) and press <Enter>. Then type dir and press <Enter>. Does MS-DOS display the root directory contents for the drive?

Yes. The problem is resolved.

No. Go to step 10.

10. Insert your ResourceCD into the drive and reboot the computer. Then run the IDE Devices device group. Does your drive pass all the tests?

Yes. Return to step 1 and perform this troubleshooting procedure again. If you continue to experience trouble, call Dell for technical assistance.

No. Go to step 11.

11. Call Dell for technical assistance.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Re my post 22 please do let me know how you go on.