Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process for win32 message

• Please log in to reply

Sunnzi

Sunnzi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all, here is my problem in a nutshell. Once in a while at start up (only) I get this message,
Generic Host Process for win32 Service encountered a problem and needed to close.
Once I click on more info I get…
Error Signature
SzAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
Once I click on more info I get…
Error Report Contents
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\ LOCALS\Temp\WER0524.dir00\svchost.exe. mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\ LOCALS\Temp\WER0524.dir00\apcompat.txt

I’m running win xp pro, on a dell optiplex GX270 small form, 80 gig HD, 1gig Ram.
I’m not connected to the net, do not have antivirus installed, have my auto update turned off (thought this was the problem at first), and firewall on.
I have no peripherals on either except the monitor (on the dell sight all the info I could find is that this message could be caused by a HP printer).
I have installed Spybot S&D along with AD Aware SE and have run them, also cleaned the disk drive and defragged.
Any help on how to get rid of this or what it is, is well appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;823830

If the PC has never been online does it have SP2, if not you can order it on a free CD here

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

Sunnzi

Sunnzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info. I do have SP2 installed, came installed. This was a work computer that was reformatted and xp was installed. Reading the site info you gave leads me to believe this might be a network problem, or the computer is trying to connect to a network. Is there things I should shut off if I don't plan on being on the net? The computer was reformatted xp installed and updated were installed about 3 weeks ago.(this is as long as i'v had it) The other thing is that once I click off the error message my computer works fine. This is more of an annoyance then anything else, but I'm no expert so I don't know if this is the beginning of a more serious problem. Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click start then control panel then network / internet then network connections then right click anything there and select disable, or delete if you do not use the net. You can easily put them back if you do need to go online.