Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frame knocked off of moniter during shipment. iMac G4. Can it be reapp

• Please log in to reply

bentherat

bentherat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I shipped a computer that was purchased from me through ebay. Staples packaged the item, apparently poorly. UPS damaged it in transit. The buyer has demanded a full refund but I said I didn't accept returns and besides, I don't have $200 plus the $90 he's demanding for shipment (to and from, pretty sure he's trying to scam me.) He sent a picture of the computer and in it, it just looks like the plastic frame popped off. Does anyone know anything about taking these things apart or putting them back together? I need to know if this can be fixed on his end and if he's just being a jerk. I'm scared. Looks like as a seller, I'm screwed and Paypal will rule in his favor no matter what. If this looks like it can be fixed, I want to offer to pay for the repair to keep from losing $200 that I don't have for an item that I didn't damage. From all the forums I've read, looks like UPS doesn't refund anything ever.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails

• osfx9g.jpg

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It probably snaps back in to place. Without seeing the back, there is no way to know.
Getting a manual on it might show us.
What is the make and model?

As for Staples or UPS, the chances are that you won't get anything.
Staples packaged it so they should be responsible.
UPS shipped it.
I know for a fact that you signed a waiver that UPS is not responsible because they did not package it.
I run in to this all the time with parts I ship back to my company, even though they are in the original boxes.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would be nice of you to offer to pay for the repairs, and if the guy is reasonable he'll probably take that offer since it would result in less time without the product he ordered.

outside of that, you are actually responsible (no matter who broke the thing) for the item arriving in a working condition (or at least in the condition that it was in when you sold it). The only way for you to NOT be responsible is if you were to explicitly state that you're not responsible for damages incurred by shipping (like UPS EXPLICITLY states that they're not responsible for damages that happen to products they didn't pack). as it stands, it doesn't seem like you've got such a disclaimer, so you are ultimately responsible for fixing the issue (either through refund or otherwise)....of course that doesn't mean that the buy has the right to dictate replacement price. they can only request a refund of exactly what they paid for the item in the first place. if you're requiring that they send the product back, they may have grounds to force you to pay for that shipping cost as well.

bentherat

bentherat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I offered to pay for the repairs. I asked for further photos of the damage. The guy flipped out. He is either crazy, spent too much money and now has changed his mind, or is just being a jerk. Ebay sided with him and I'm out the money. They requested he ship the item back, even though Staples asked for it to be held there so they can inspect the package to continue the claims process. I'm hoping that when I get it, it's not actually broken, so I can file some sort of claim against him. I honestly think he spent too much money and now needs it back.

Thanks everybody!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
I cant help you with the shipping disaster but for what it is worth I think the buyer is pulling your chain.
Below are a couple of links for you to look at and the disassembly one looks like it will easily go back into place.
The link where I found the dis-assembly guide http://www.mac-forum...gnment-diy.html
The dis-assembly guide ftp://grijan.cjb.net:21000/macintosh/Manuals/imac.17-inch_1ghz.pdf
I hope you manage to resolve the issue and let us know how it works out

Edited by phillpower2, 27 September 2010 - 05:46 AM.