Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

sere83

sere83

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi there,

My friends Sony Vaio laptop will not boot so he asked if I could help...

It's A Sony VAIO AR41S

http://www.laptopsdi...CEK/version.asp

He says that when he presses the power button and tries to start it up it just makes 2 small beeps followed by one long beep, then nothing happens. He took it to PC World here in the UK. They said that it was a motherboard problem and would cost more than £500 to repair. They also said they ran data recovery on his hard drive but the data was corrupted and hence lost. They also said they plugged it into an external display to test it and nothing came up.

This sounded a bit dubious to me.

Any way just wondered if there was anything he could do? Is anyone familiar with this issue? I saw this ad on ebay which looked like they might be able to help...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item43a1bbbaf7

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by sere83, 24 September 2010 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it was a dead board it wouldn't even beep at all.

The machine has Nvidia Graphics in it, so what's probably happened is what's described in the Bay article you've linked to. A new board isn't cost effective and wouldn't really solve the problem because the issue isn't the board, it's the graphics chip.

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the help. Didn't think it could be a motherboard failure, as you say the info in the ebay link seems most likely. Will send it over to my friend.

Edited by sere83, 26 September 2010 - 10:54 AM.