Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Problem deleting desktop items

• Please log in to reply

damien666

damien666

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a nightmanre at the moment as suddenly I cannot delete any of my desktop items from xp. If you right click you then get an error cannot write to memory cancel to debug ot ok when I do this if you click canel I get a dr watson error if ok screen freezes and then desktop resets as if nothing has happened. please help

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This can be attributes to malware much of the time. Before addressing that, first check and see if you have DivX on your machine (a video decoder)

If so, remove it, reboot. And try again. If it works, get the latest version of divx

If not. please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I have a similar problem on one of my customers computers. I posted my dr watson and event logs. I found in my situation that turning off dr watson in the registry temporailly stops the "freeze". , however, you still get a explorer error, which you can cancel out of. This will only keep you from having to shut the computer off with a hard shutdown. Im still researching what could be the reason for my explorer error. I listed this thread to better help in clearing up this problem.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
by the way, here is the link to my thread on this problem, if it helps any. http://www.geekstogo...=explorer error