Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory (Private Working Set)

• Please log in to reply

LiquidChild

LiquidChild

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

This week I have bought a new PC and it appears slower than my 2 year old laptop even though I thought I'd checked the spec to make sure it would be at least as quick. The details of the two machines are as follows:

NEW PC (Details from the website where PC was purchased):

Intel® Celeron Dual-Core Processor E3300 (2.80 GHz) / 3GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / 160 GB HDD / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 / SATA SuperMulti LightScribe DVD Writer / Window 7 downgradable to XP Professional)

2 YEAR OLD LAPTOP (Details copied from DirectX Diagnostic Tool) :
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUS), 2.4GHz / 3582RAM, this also has 285 GB Hard Drive

I am yet to put an extra GB of RAM in the new machine but I don't think that is the problem here, and I am aware the new machine has a smaller hard drive but I didn't need that much space and this doesn't effect the speed/performance does it?

So, I checked Processes in Windows Task Manager and I found that the numbers are acting rather differently on each machine. A game I play called football manager for example. Loading up a saved game will shoot the K number under Memory (Private Working Set) up to about 300,000K on each machine, however, on completion of the task on my old machine the number soon comes back down to about 4,000K but on my new machine is stays at the high number of about 300,000K even after the game has loaded. The CPU number also differs the old machine goes up to about 50, but the new one is going right up to nearly 100 (both machines come back down to 0 once the task is complete.

So my questions are:
1) Is this the reason why the new machine seems slower.
2) If so, can it be fixed and how?
3) If not what else can I check?

Any more information needed please let me know.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot fairly compare the speed of a desktop and a laptop because they are two different technologies and a laptop will always be slower than a desktop.

The desktop has a very slow processor in it, those Celerons aren't super-fast so putting more memory in it isn't going to solve anything. Also what version of Windows is on the laptop?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
In the "Tom's Hardware" chart below your Celeron E3300 is down in Tier 07. For gaming you need something, at the very least, in Tier 04.

Posted Image

(Click the image above to take you to the original Tom's Hardware page).

Then, on top of that, you must have something 'way' better than an "Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500". On the following Tom's Hardware GPU Hierachy page you need, at the very least, something from the 8th Tier down (or higher):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html

See the following page for more details on setting up three different gaming rigs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-components,2725.html

LiquidChild

LiquidChild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

The old laptop was running Vista.

So, basically, it goes a lot deeper than simply comparing the 2.4GHz number then, and I have just bought a poor machine and my best bet it try and return it to the supplier and get something better?

Thanks for the help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes; and you're welcome. :D

LiquidChild

LiquidChild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
One more question. What tier grade would my old laptops CPU come under? As everything worked fine on that. This being the T8300

Thanks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Probably close to an Intel Core2 Duo E6600, (depending on the benchmark of course), which is in Tier 06 above.