Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow start up and shutdown

• Please log in to reply

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi guys, im having a problem.

ive been using my desktop machine with windows xp on my home network for a year now and it hasnt given me any problems.

Now i bought a tablet pc with windows xp tablet edition recently and added it to the network - it worked fine as well.. now i decided to do a format and clean install for the tablet pc, but after installing a fresh copy, windows takes around 20 seconds on the "Windows is starting Up" screen just before the login screen appears and another 20 seconds at the "Windows is preparing to shutdown" screen after i choose shut down.. the start up thing is as if windows is searching for other pcs on my network, but my desktop still boots up without the lag, plus ive tried disconnecting all netowrk devices and then trying - still i get the 20 odd second lag on both start up and shutdown.

Also, this cant be due to the programs i've installed since the programs would load AFTER windows has logged in, and its pretty much a blank system right now...

any idea what could be going on behind the scenes and how i could catch it ?

P.S. ive already ran defragmenter and the microsoft bootvis program ...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
And where does Bootvis show problem is occuring?

The log should show you what is not starting properly.

In the meantime
start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs...list them here.

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i cant figure bootvis out .....

would it be safe to upload the trace file created by bootvis so you could please have a look ?

Also, under the systems tab there are tons of red marks .... dhcp, w32time, server, print, service control manager, mrxsmb, netbt ... how can i list them all here without having to type them all in ??

thanks a bunch

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go back to event manager, righ click APPLICATION and SYSTEM, and choose CLEAR--do not save

Reboot.

Reopen event manager, now you will have fewer things to pick out.

Let me check on the bootvis---seems to me that file is MASSIVE, but I haven't looked in a while....suspect a screen capture may be better, but let me see if their is an export report function.....can't recall and have never run bootvis on this machine, so I don't have an example.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, 70mb file...no good to upload.

OK, Run bootvis again, then uncheck all but driver delays and process creates in the left hand window.

Then drag the bottom of the DRIVER DELAY window so that it expands to include all of the drivers listed (scroll bar disappears).

Then hit PRINT SCREEN key, then open MSPAINT, hit EDIT > PASTE, save it as a gif, and upload it here.

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, im attaching the bootvis screen ...

also, i cleared all event logs, rebooted and now i get only one alert. heres a log of that as well:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 5/25/2005
Time: 8:53:01 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: *****
Description:
Windows saved user ******\Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, problem on shutdown...download the following and install

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Now, you'r bootvis log is incomplete....I said to uncheck all EXCEPT driver delays and process creates...you unchecked process creates.

Furthermore, the log moves farther to the right...click the negative magnifying class to shrink it so it all fits in the window

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw---wirless connection?

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok sorry about that, not paying atention :S ... im attaching the updated screenshots now ... hope theyr large enough to give you an idea

also, it has both wireless b/g and ethernet.

downloading the program you refered to, but i still dont get what it does :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg

matrixumus

matrixumus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the shutdown problem still hasnt been solved :S

anyone ?