Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes insanity!

• Please log in to reply

megaronii

megaronii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I purchased my first laptop for college (a Toshiba) and at first iTunes worked just fine. Then, it stopped connecting to the iTunes store. At first it would allow me to access the store but not download any songs. Now it won't connect at all and when I try this is the message I get:

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection timed out.
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

I have followed all the directions Apple has to offer on this issue. I have ran diagnostics on iTunes and it says there is an issue connecting to the store (Obviously). When I click on "help" to see possible resolutions it says it cannot connect because it doesn't detect an internet connection. My internet works just fine.

I also haven't been able to connect to Skype or even fully create my account, and when I asked Geek Squad for help they tried to access my computer so they could see directly for themselves. My computer wouldn't download the software.

All I have on my computer is the Windows Firewall and both iTunes and Skype are "allowed". Norton is on my computer but not active (I don;t even have a subscription). I installed Webroot Anti-Virus Software when I first got my laptop a few months ago, but uninstalled it.

I have tried to download free antivirus protection from my college and it doesn't detect an internet connection, which rejects the download.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi megaronii,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :D

Try the following to see if it helps:

• Open Internet Explorer. (browser)
  • Click on Tools
  • Navigate to and click on Internet Options.
  • Click on the Connections tab at the top.
  • At the bottom right of that window click LAN settings button.
  • Under Proxy server make sure that the proxy setting is unchecked.
  • Click OK

Then try again. Let me know if that helps.

Donna ;)

Edited by DonnaB, 25 September 2010 - 10:30 AM.

megaronii

megaronii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Donna,

Thanks for trying to help! I've already done several things to try to get it to work and that's one of them. I did notice last night that I could access the store if I ran my computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" but not regularly. I may try to connect to a different network today to see if it's the college network that's causing all the problems.

Thanks anyway!
Meghan

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Meghan,

Contact your school administrators and see if there are any restrictions present. The smaller the college the more restrictions you'll have.

This could be the problem for Skype, iTunes, and your download issues. Whatever you do, please be very careful if you are surfing looking for solutions with no AV that is running to protect you.

Please return to this thread and reply once you speak with the Admins. I'm curious and your response could help others as well!

Sorry I couldn't help, but stay tuned, other members may have dealt with this issue before.

Donna :D