Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ext Hard Drive problem. Comstar

• Please log in to reply

Airoch420

Airoch420

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had bought a Comstar 250G Ext HD about a year ago. Usually I can copy 6-7 Gigs in 5-7 minutes to this device. Lately when I try to copy or take something off/on it, I will get a huge time like 240 minutes + for like 6 gigs, and basicly it does not happen. My computer has no problem detecting the device when I turn it on, And when I use files that are on the Ext HD they work fine. I dont have it connected to a USB 2.0 but even without it did not have the long copy to/from the device like it does now.

Does anyone know whats going on with this thing? I hope its not cooked :D

Advertisements

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried it again today and it was working normally. I had left my computer and the Ext HD turned on overnight (maybe it has to be turned on for sometime to work normally?) I also noticed when it was not transfering the files fast like it normally does, that the light was flashing blue fairly fast. It is Red when it is not loading or has something being transfered on/off it. When it was working normally again today the light is a solid blue with the odd blink when doing a transfer.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
When was the last time you defragged it?

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download