Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 3.0 and Sata 6.0Gb/sec... worth it?

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,

I am currently looking into building a new computer and I am on the fence about what type of motherboard to get. It seems getting one with USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 is the right choice if I want this motherboard to keep up with future hard drives and peripherals, but all the reviews I have read are saying this technology is still in its infancy and not worth it. However, the latest review I read is dated back in January and I am wondering if anything has changed since then.

Anyone have any up to date opinions about these two interfaces? Or perhaps can point me to some more current reviews about the matter? Are they worth getting now? I've tried researching this on my own, but it has been a struggle for whatever reason.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The problem is, if you wait until USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 devices are plentiful, USB 4.0 and SATA 12.0 will be just around the corner with even greater promises. If you plan on keeping this motherboard for 3 or 4 years, or even longer, then I think it is worth it as it will support those devices when they become more readily available.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hey everyone,

I am currently looking into building a new computer and I am on the fence about what type of motherboard to get. It seems getting one with USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 is the right choice if I want this motherboard to keep up with future hard drives and peripherals, but all the reviews I have read are saying this technology is still in its infancy and not worth it. However, the latest review I read is dated back in January and I am wondering if anything has changed since then.

The figures are theoretical. Modern day hard drives (mechanical) cannot achieve SATA I speeds at present.
The new generation of Solid State Drives will be very useful for SATA III connections, as this is a rapidly expanding area at the moment and they can drop boot-up times of Windows quite dramatically, plus they're getting cheaper all the time.

With regards to USB 3, again the figures are theoretical.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
USB 3 first benchmark – it’s here, and it’s fast
http://www.pcpro.co....it-goes-whoosh/