Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Spikes with System process

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi all,

Over the past few days I have noticed my CPU usage has been spiking every now and again, particularly noticeable when I start playing computer games. At first I took no notice of it, kind of ignored it thinking it would go away but it hasn't.

I finally decided to look into the issue, and found that my "System" process causing my CPU to use 100% on both cores. I checked around Google, but couldn't find anything that fit the description of my problem.

I did find a handy blog post which instructed me to download a program from the sysinterals tools from Microsoft called Process Explorer (http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx)

I downloaded and launched the program and waited for the CPU usage to spike again this time catching it in the act. I ended up finding out that the following highlighted process was causing my problems (note that at the time of the screenshot, usage was normal): For future reference, incase the picture below is deleted (for other people that may come across this thread later on from Google... ntoskrnl.exe!KdPollBreakIn+0x1a0)

Posted Image

I did update my graphics drivers a few days ago, not sure if that is any cause or not. However, I kind of have a feeling it was happening before that.

I don't want to kill or suspend the process since it may be a critical/needed driver or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to ask anymore questions.

FYI:
- Windows 7 64-bit, up-to-date
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0 GHz) Dual Core
- 4GB RAM
- ATI 512MB HD3670

Edited by bobbobagan, 25 September 2010 - 10:58 AM.

Advertisements