Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway gt5656 no vid

• Please log in to reply

purified

purified

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i was usig a gateway gt5656 with a 8600 gt in it , all was fine, it froze on me and i had to hard reboot.
now, no vid, whether its the add i card or the on board it simply stays amber( monitor lites) yes everything else spins and lights up, front panel lights dvd rom ETC:

i have done this http://support.gatew...007050376.shtml

it did not work, the one difference is that the actual power led does not come on anymore ( the one the was inside the actual power button.
i have treied one by one ram tests , nothing, i have tried several monitors , nothing, it is set to pciE to boot first in the bios so i cant change that atm because i have no vid, removing the add in vid card does not seem to make any difference...gateway was no help.
im not puter stupid, i have built machines no problems but this makes little sense to me

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi purified :D sorry to hear you are have this issue.
First off swap out the psu for a known working one, if still
no display try another video card, if still no display try
removing the CMOS battery for a few moments, if this works be
sure to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date.
If after doing the above does not prove successful I believe
you are looking at first a bad MB or second a dead CPU or both.

all was fine, it froze on me and i had to hard reboot

This can be caused by something overheating the gpu on the video
card perhaps.

purified

purified

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i took out the add in card and the only PS i had was an older one with no sata plugs on it so i coodnt do much
it DID spin ALOT faster this time but i still got zero vid form the on brd vid, i tried add in card in and out to no avail, the PS that came with it tho spins reel fast for a sec( mouse lites up bright ) then slows down, the 2nd i tried did not do that.
i then did the cmos battery and that did not work either:(
guess its time to toss it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you had any error beeps at all while you were testing + can you loan another stick of Ram to try with the 2nd psu, it does sound like a bad MB but we must try every possible test before you bin it, what is the make and model of the MB?

purified

purified

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
mcp61 pm am is the board i tryed with every stik of ram i have i hear no beeps from it at all

Edited by purified, 25 September 2010 - 02:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

mcp61 pm am is the board i tryed with every stik of ram i have i hear no beeps from it at all

This would suggest the board or cpu are dead and I believe the failure rate for MBs is higher
than for cpus, apart from having a store test the cpu for you or putting it into another system
yourself I don`t know of a safe/sure way of testing a cpu.
I did read once that if you removed the HS and turned the power on and then straight back off
and then feel if the cpu is hot and if it is it would suggest the cpu is ok, Im not too sure
about the last option and would recommend either of the first 2 methods.