Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible bug

• Please log in to reply

fixit5561

fixit5561

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello everyone,

I have been having problems with my desktop icons not opening the browser to go to the site that is clicked upon. That is I have a bunch of icons on my desktop, when I click on them, nothing happens, the browser doesnt open to go to the website the icon is associated with. I also tried to open webpages using my favorites and they wont open a browser either to open the webpage.

I also cannot change my password in my user settings. I go to the page to change the password and it wont type the old or new passwrod into the boxes. the boxes are there but it wont let me change them at all. Im stumped and think maybe a worm or trojan that is letting others access my pc and wont let me change the password because of it? Just a theory.

I recently have been having this problem with IE8 and now Google Chrome. Last night I got rid of IE8 I uninstalled it from my Add/Remove programs also in the control panel, and then downloaded Google Chrome for my browser. I went to bed and everything was working fine, fast internet speed, all icons on the desktop opened up, and no problems at all. I woke up this morning and the icons wont open a webpage when I click on them again.

Now I loaded Firefox as my browser and still no links will open either on my desktop or in my favorites/bookmarks. (that is I have to physically open the browser and type in where I want to go on the internet.

I also can no longer right click on a webpage that is opened and save it to my desktop as an icon.

I did all that is asked in the remove Malware forum and there was no Malware, virus', or spyware that came up.

I my OS is Windows XP Media center edition with SP3

Thank you for your help in advance

Update. I ran system recovery on my pc, everyhting worked fine until I updated to IE 7 then the same thing happened explained above, no favorites could be opened from bookmarks or from icons on the desktop. So I uninstalled IE7 and am just running IE as my browser. It seems the bug I have only attacks when IE7 and above is loaded.

Edited by fixit5561, 26 September 2010 - 06:02 PM.

Advertisements