Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How to restore computer with out cds

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello i have windows xp home SP3, and i got given it a few weeks ago and it was full off absolute rubbish and just needs to be restored to practically brand new so theres only the OS software on the drive. Now the problem i face is that i have no disks what so ever not even a xp installation disc or a restore disk. I found a way on the internet how to do it by restarting the computer and entering the advanced boot screen, but when i switch on my computer to get to that screen my acer monitor just flashes the message "input not supported" and then after a minute or 2 it goes to the windows logo and its to late to do anything then. Ive tried hitting F8 while it says input not supported but it just stays the same and doesnt change. any help well be welcome thanks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
You might try looking at your Mobo for a jumper that says recovery.
for the recovery to display you may need to use a VGA or plug'N play? Not really sure.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts
Welcome to Geeks to go.

You can start by giving us some basic information on the computer.
Is it a Dell, HP, Compaq, home made?
Laptop or desktop?
Does the computer boot up at all?
Does it get to the OS and programs?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,675 posts
Hi minijig125,

Ive tried hitting F8 while it says input not supported but it just stays the same

Try tapping F8 whilst the computer is actually booting up, if its a laptop try tapping F2.
Basically what you are asking is how to format everything on the HDD except the OS on it is that correct?