Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blinking Cursor at Startup

• Please log in to reply

Jazper

Jazper

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I have a Gateway LX6810-01, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor, running on Windows Vista. I have had it for about 2 years and just recently I can't get my computer to reboot properly. When I power up my PC I get the following displays...

First, the initial GATEWAY, Boot Menu F10, BIOS Settings F2 screen appears. So I am able to get into BIOS.
The next screen displays..
Mediashield ROM BIOS 10.0.0.5 RPT IDP
Copyright 2008 Nvidia Corp
Detecting Storage Devices...
1 0.1 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F
Press F9 to enter RAID setup utility...
1 0.0 WDC WD6400AAKS 596.17GB
The following screen is black and then a blinking cursor appears in the top left corner of the screen. I have let it sit there for 20 minutes, nothing happens, the cursor just keeps blinking constantly.

I just tried to restart my computer using my Windows XP CD, and I got the following message...

A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Can I still run chkdsk or anything if I can't start up my computer? Any help on this problem is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jaz

Edited by Jazper, 25 September 2010 - 03:23 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Jazper...

I'm not sure if the information provided by SpywareDr will work with Vista as it is intended for troubleshooting XP problems.

Have you tried running a Startup Repair from the Vista disk or from the Advanced Boot Options screen (reached by tapping F8 during boot up)?

wannabe1

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I do not have a Vista disk, only XP which failed. The computer came with it pre-installed. Tapping F8 does nothing during system startup. I have tried several things in F2, F10. and F9. If I buy a Vista disk and try reboot from CD would it work?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will the machine boot to the XP disk?

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes, it boots to the XP disk... but that is when I get this error

A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The computer is currently running Windows Vista 64-bit. Have you heard of KillDisk (www.killdisk.com)? I have downloaded the free version and burned it to CD.. tried to boot from it, but the I get this message..

-InitDiskBad or missing Command Interpreter: command.com /P /E:256
Enter the full shell command line: (blinking cursor)

Does that mean the disk is bad? I can type in commands.. but dunno what to type there... I have all my files on an external backup hard drive, so I am just trying to get my computer running again, if I have to wipe it clean or not.
Thanks.

Edited by Jazper, 26 September 2010 - 07:08 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The blinking cursor along with the 0x-7B error most often indicate a corrupt file system. Running a disk check (chkdsk) with the /r switch will usually straighten it back out. In some cases it has to be run more than once. The trick with your problem is going to be getting access to the drive to run the disk check.

Do you have (or have access to) an external enclosure you can use to connect the hard drive to another machine to try the repair?

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
so you mean, take the hard drive out of the Gateway and put it in another PC? I have an old Dell Dimension 8200 near that works, if that is what you mean.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would work. :D

You'll have to change the bad drive's jumper to "Slave" if you do it that way (not so with an enclosure)...and remember to change it back before you install it back in the Gateway. You'll be able to run the disk check from a Windows environment, which makes it very easy.

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got it out of the gateway finally, how do I change it to slave? Model GH15F

The Dell hard drive
Posted Image

The Connectors in the Dell
Posted Image

The Gateway hard drive
Posted Image

Edited by Jazper, 26 September 2010 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The jumper will be on the rear of the drive near the power connector. It will be a small plastic block that connects a pair of pins and should be set to the Master position now. There should be a diagram on the drive's label that shows the jumper positions for Slave, Master, or CS (Cable Select). You'll want it jumpered as a slave. When you install it in the Dell, install it to the center connector on the same ribbon (IDE cable) as the Dell's hard drive.

jumper.png

When you boot up the Dell, you should be able to see the drive in My Computer (if we're lucky) or in the Computer Management Console (if we're not so lucky).

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I see where the cable select, slave, master is on the Dell Hard drive... but not on the gateway... it's way different

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it a SATA drive? If it is, you'll probably have to get an enclosure in order to connect it to the Dell.

In the Gateway, was the drive connected with a small cable while the Dell drive connects with a wide, flat ribbon cable?

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yeah, different connections. In the gateway it is a real tiny connector, and a small connector with 4 other wires. In the dell it is the big grey ribbon connectors and a 4 wire connector. scroll up, I posted pics.

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
what is an enclosure? I have an external hard drive enclosure by WD.