Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to get XP Installed again

• Please log in to reply

arc195

arc195

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have been getting a lot of Blue screens of death whil using XP proffesional edition recently so decided to use XP CD to reinstall software and hopefully fix the bug. Everything was going fine till the setup program crashed halfway through. On restart I could not get past the screen where you can pick either XP Pro or XP Pro Setup. So.. I got a startup floppy did Fdisk aand Format and voila I have a blank c: drive so I can do a fresh install. Unfortunately windows will now not boot from the cdrom and I dont have a copy of or know which are the correct drivers.
In simple english, (as I'm stupid that way) what the .... can I do?
Any, and I mean any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Hi arc195, and welcome to GTG! <_<

Many computers are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your devices being incorrect. You can change this in the BIOS.

You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different, but here is an example:

Posted Image

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the welcome,

Tried altering the bios when the problem first occured, but will still only boot straight into my newly formatted c: drive which has nithing on it. Have even set both first an second boot device to CDROM. On startup it goes through various memory checks etc then gets to ...
'verifying dmi pool data.......'
'Boot from CD :' (at this point i have tried a few things from doing nothing to pressing return and trying to input Y for yes, all the same result)
'Starting Windows'

........... and then the C:\> is there.

Any ideas

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
To add a little extra info. only drive C: and A: are recognised I can't get into D: which would be the CDROM, when I try I get 'Invalid drive specification'

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Try booting from a floppies using the bootdisks for your version of XP. Bootdisks can be found here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK. Thanks for the advice. Got the floppy xp setup disks, all six of them. Had a go but they didn't work. Always got to th 6th disk and the BSOD'ed, but ... using the link that you had given me I was able to track down a XP boot disk with a generic CD-ROM driver on it and accessed my XP cd. Woo-Hoo. All well and good, but ... looked in the i386 folder on the CD and ran WINNT.exe. went through the entire copying files to hard drive procedure followed the onscreen instructions and waited for the program to restart my computer, (floppy no longer in a: as advised). Boots from cd.... GREAT! Goes into Windows Setup and tells me that it is starting Windows .... I'm extatic! BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Oh... Every time I try to restart the same thing happens, either the machine restarts or I get BSOD with various messages from IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, to 0.000000x7E or 7F, 0x0000050 and many others.

Any ideas....Pretty please.

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Noticed somthing strange. If I turn the machine off for half an hour or so it gets further into the setup before crashing... any relevance?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Sounds like your BSOD's are hardware and not software related. Let's start with a memory test, click here -> http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, Memtest86. Cool little application easy to run and use.

Right, ran all tests for 10 hours straight with no errors found. From what the documentation and reviews I've seen online it dosn't guarantee there is nothing wrong with the memory, but is probably not a memory problrm if Memtest dosn't find errors.

I have nothing hooked up to the USB ports, only external devices are the monitor, mouse and keyboard. Internally apart from the standard G-force graphics card, there is a modem I haven't used in about a year as I have a USB external broadband modem, and a network card that I haven't used in three years when I first bought the machine, (and when that was first put in it didn't cause any problems).

Only other thing I noticed at the minute is that at startup it says a lot of the devices are assigned to IRQ 11 and I'm sure someone said that was a bad thing, either that or I dreamt it 8-)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Do you have another CD-ROM drive you could try? I've seen defective drives cause all kinds of setup errors.

arc195

arc195

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, took a little while, but asked a friend to loan me his spare cd rom drive. Opened up the machine and swapped it for the old cd rom drive. Just in case also borrowed my friends Windows XP proffesional disk in case mine was at fault. At the same time removed old network card from machine and took out internal modem as I'm using a USB one at present.

Same problem has occurred. Same kind of thing as my post of 14th August.

Any ideas? Thanks loads.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Try removing everything from your system except memory, CPU, and video card. Even better is to remove everything from the case to eliminate the possibility of shorts. If you still have problems using this minimal setup, then I'd say the problem is the motherboard or power supply. If Windows setup runs okay using this setup, install components one at a time, until the offender is identified.