Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox/IE.

• Please log in to reply

desperatehousewife

desperatehousewife

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
now that I have installed and am running Firefox? I am happy with Firefox so far, but ads are still able to pop-up through IE... can I un-install IE, or what? Is there a way to permanently dis-able IE?

TIA.

dh

Advertisements

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry IE cannot be uninstalled.
You should do a spyware check; using Ad-Aware or Spybot search and Destroy. Pop-Ups are generally due to spyware. You should also make sure that you have Firefox set as the default browser.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
you definitely don't want to uninstall IE. You will need it to apply service packs and critical updates for Windows. You can't use FF to do that.

DeanofHC

DeanofHC

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, there are a couple of options actually. Kat is right, you shouldn't uninstall IE but if you really want to there is a way to turn it off. If you go into your Add/Remove Programs and then click on Windows Components it will bring up a list of installed Windows components that you can "toggle" on and off. That is actually a good location to uninstall Windows Messenger if you are so inclined. As far as windows updates are concerned, The WindizUpdate site actually is designed to work with Firefox. It supports Windows NT 4.0, 95 and newer (only English language updates). It can be found at http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/.

soccer4life

soccer4life

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Firefox is great ! :tazz:

Dexter1979

Dexter1979

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Don't use IE unless you have too. Install Spybot - Search & Destroy and tell it to block spyware under the Imunize settings. Keep it up to date. you might still have adds but at least less of a chance of getting spyware.

Firefox is great!

DeanofHC

DeanofHC

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
DH,

Do you still get ads and popups when you have Firefox open or only when through IE? Some programs, especially Microsoft ones, default open in IE (especially the Office suite). If you are getting popups from IE windows when you are only running Firefox you probably have spyware and such running. I would encourage you to do a HijackThis log and post it in the proper HJT forum on here and have it looked at. Granted I'm not a staff/admin but that's what I would consider. In some cases Spybot and Lavasoft Adaware are not enough.

Good luck.

-Dean

desperatehousewife

desperatehousewife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your response. I have run SpyBot s&d, AdWare SE and the clean-up programs listed on this board. After doing that, I installed Firefox and their add on ad-block program as well as ZoneAlarm (using the trial pro package and will probably pay to keep it when the trial period is up). I am still getting a few pop ups... they are coming through IE, even though I am not using IE...

I posted my HijackThis! log on that forum, but have not had a response yet... it'll be five days today, I guess I will post a link on the "unanswered" board?

D-