Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to buy a new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I want to buy a new graphics card that will enable me to watch movies on my TV via HDMI cable. Here is my computer stats I wanted to buy an affordable one that is compatible with my motherboard. If anyone could direct me to a new graphics card that is great but cheap, not over $100 bucks I would be grateful thanks! Also if you could let me know which graphic cards are compatible with my motherboard I would appreciate it, so I know where to look.

Attached Files

Edited by computerdude1985, 26 September 2010 - 09:36 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The only information we really need is your motherboard make and model and unfortunately, CPUz report does not provide it. That said, see Best Graphics Card for the Money September 2010. Also note that graphics cards are often the most power hungry device inside your computer and so before buying any new graphics card, ensure your power supply has enough horsepower to support it. Here's my canned text on sizing power supplies:

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home) or extreme 3D animated gaming, I recommend setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, and future hardware demands. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:

• Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
  • Efficiency,
  • Total wattage.
Don’t try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply! Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. Look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Note that some case retailers “toss in” a generic or inadequate PSU just to make the case sale. Be prepared to “toss out” that supply for a good one with sufficient power.

Most PSUs have an efficiency rating of around 70%. This means for every 100 watts of power a PSU draws from the wall, only 70 watts is delivered to the motherboard, with the rest wasted in the form of heat. The best supplies are 85 to 90% efficient, and as expected, cost more. I strongly recommend you pick a quality supply with an efficiency rating equal to or greater than 80%. Look for 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant labels.

Too big of a PSU hurts nothing but your budget. Your computer will draw from the PSU only what it needs, not what the PSU is capable of delivering. If a computer needs 300 watts it will draw 300 watts regardless if the PSU is a 350W, 650W, or 1000W PSU. In turn, the PSU, regardless its size will draw from the wall only what it needs to support the computer. In this example, it will draw 300 watts, plus another 45 – 90 watts, depending on the PSU’s inefficiency.

As noted, the eXtreme Calculator determines the minimum requirements. If the calculator (with the changes I suggested) recommends a 400 watt minimum, a quality 400W supply will serve you just fine. But a quality 550W – 600W supply will have, among other things, larger heat sinks to dissipate potentially more heat. It might have a larger fan too. The 400W supply will run most of the time closer to capacity, while the larger supply will be loafing along, rarely breaking a sweat. To help the smaller heat sinks get rid of the wasted 80 watts (20% of 400) of heat, the fan in the 400W supply may need to run full speed, while the fan in the larger supply, with bigger sinks just loafs along too – but in near silence.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank you for all of that information. Is there any software that will scan my computer and let me know what my motherboard make and model are? I can always go into it manually and check the numbers if all else fails. All of that information was very helpful though and I very much appreciate it thank you!

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I was able to find out the motherboard info! I'm going to go to best buy in a few weeks and consult with them and let the recommend a new graphics card, but any help here would be appreciated. I did buy my computer there so chances are they will know what kind of motherboard I have.

Computer is: HP Pavilion NY429AA-ABA p6110y

Motherboard ID 64-0539-000001-00101111-050609-Bearlake$HPBEN000_BIOS DATE: 05/06/09 11:31:10 VER: 5.39
Motherboard Name Asus IPIBL-LB (Benicia)

Edited by computerdude1985, 29 September 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
According to this, it has a PCIe x16 slot so any PCIe card will technically work. The two limiting factors will be size, since that is a micro ATX board, the case may be similarly small, and the PSU. Graphics card can easily be the most power hungry device inside a computer.

You can certainly ask the Best Buy folks - some are very knowledgeable. But I would verify what they say before buying.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
okay thank you so much I appreciate all of your help!