Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Audio

• Please log in to reply

Buchy

Buchy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I was recently helped by Essexboy in the other forum to help me get rid of malware attack.

When I realized I had a virus on my desktop I started uninstalling everything on the control panel that I did not recognize (OK, agreed probably not the smartest). Now ever since the virus has been gone I can not get any audio on my computer. I am thinking that maybe I uninstalled my audio drivers or something like this?

I'm not sure where to start or even how to find out what audio card I have so that I can try and re-install the necessary programs/drivers... I cannot locate the original CD.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Start by going to your Device Manager and see if you have any yellow question mark specially under Sound Video and game controllers

If you do and you have on onboard soundcard then go to either the manufacturer of you PC model (HP, DELL, ACER ect) or your motherboard manufacturer (ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI ect) and find the driver for your soundcard.

If you have an addon card ( a pci soundcard) then go to the manufacturer of your card (Creative, Yamaha ect) for your driver.

If you do not know your motherboard model or your addon soundcard model then get an info program (Everest, Sandra lite, Aida32) to get the info you need.

If you do not have any yellow question mark in device manager and it is not showing any souncard installed in the Sound Video and game controllers menu then your sound controller might be set to disable in your BIOS settings. To get into your BIOS setting, at the Bios Post push either (delete, F2 F12 or..,) and enable your sound controller then save your new settings and exit. Windows might install the driver automatically if it has it in its driver cache if not then you will have to install it manually.