Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP User Accounts mix-up

• Please log in to reply

flat-erica

flat-erica

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hiya Folks,

Recently I had a scary malware incident which was was wiped out completely by your wonderful RSkinner. (my hero :D Thanks again Ron!).

Proud of my clean pc, I'd now like to organise things a bit better - even make things more secure. So I've been reading about different users rights and the pros and cons of 'working with administrator's rights' (another project!)

Well, I realise now that in my ignorance over the years, I have installed some programs to 'All Users' when they should have been in Admin only.
I didn't fully understand the significance of where a program was installed - I just installed! ;) Thankfully I do learn from my mistakes, but some advice on organising these accounts would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to remedy this?
For example, can I move a program from Users to Admin without un/re-installing the program? Or maybe re-allocate users to individual programs? (or something like that!)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your response.

C

PS: I will also be asking for advice on setting up security programs at some point. Is this the place for that?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of programs install themselves to All Users by default.
Their location on the Start Menu is irrelevant anyway because if somebody wants a program on a machine, if truth be told it's not really all that difficult to run it directly anyway.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just right click on the .exe icon of the programs in questions and choose run as... and in there you can choose run as administrator. Anyone trying to run this program will have to enter the administrator password (make sure you have set one) or will be able if they are logon as the administrator.

Delete what i wrote I did not read your question properly, this function is only to run administrator programs from a non administrator account.

Edited by Alzeimer, 26 September 2010 - 01:16 PM.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Cheers!
Don't think it's too much of a problem anyway.. was just wondering!
(You never know what you might learn).
I'm sure I'll be back with other questions 'bout other xp stuff!

Thanks for your replies folks!

Edited by flat-erica, 28 September 2010 - 06:57 PM.