Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Format 11 Runtime

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I uninstalled Windows Media Player 11 on my HP Pavilion 6730 yesterday.
In the process, things rolled back to Windows Media Player 9.

NOW ... Windows Media Format 11 Runtime is still installed.
Can I uninstall Windows Media Format 11 Runtime with no repercussions?
SHOULD I? I'd sure like the 25 Meg of Hard Drive SPACE that I'd gain.

I read that Windows Media Format 11 Runtime is some Codec for handling wmv and wma formats.
But, is that only for Windows Media Player 11?
Now that I'm back to Windows Media Player 9 ... would I STILL need Windows Media Format 11 Runtime?
Can't Windows Media Player 9 handle wmv and wma WITHOUT Windows Media Format 11 Runtime?

Advertisements

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, you can uninstall WMV 11 runtimes with no problem in playing wma/wmv formats.

If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then encounter error C00D271D ("A problem has occurred in the Digital Rights Management component. Contact Microsoft product support."), you might be able to resolve the problem by installing the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."

You might not be able to roll back to a previous version of the Player if the hidden folder $NtUninstallwmp11$ is deleted from your computer. Some non-Microsoft programs (such as CCleaner) delete this folder in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer.

Edited by ParagonGeek, 26 September 2010 - 11:45 AM.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, ParagonGeek!
With some trepidation, I went and uninstalled Windows Media Format 11 Runtime.
It just rolled it back to the previous version ... whatever that might have been. (I wasn't given a version number.)

After the Reboot, I tested Windows Media Player 9 by tossing various Audio and Video files at it.
Everything worked fine! :D
No errors and no problems.
My Windows Media Player 9 now works better than Windows Media Player 11 and 10 ever worked.