Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lenovo restore problem

• Please log in to reply

8585james

8585james

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, i have a laptop problem,

I have a lenovo 3000 n100, running windows xp pro sp3.

A few days ago i was trying to restore it to factory default settings, and i realized i dont know how..

i heard to hit f11 on start up, but it doesent work, maybe the previous owner deleted the restore partition, i dont know. But if anyone could help me, it would be great.
some of the problems i am having, internet explorer will be working just fine, than it freezes up, i cant end the program or anything,, and it wont respond at all. but i can minimize it and open another internet explorer window. and sometimes the laptop wont respond when i try to restart it, and sometimes i turn it on and it boots to the desktop, but the icons dont appear, its just a plain desktop,, so i have to restart it..
im not the origional owner so i have no cd or recovery disk.
it wont let me run system restore either..
someone please help. i just wanna wipe it clean and start from, (out of the box state)

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Lenovo > Service and Troubleshooting Guide - 3000 C200, Lenovo N100
http://download.leno...817_revised.pdf

See Chapter 4

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i didnt duplicate the topic,, its two different problems, 1 is a restore problem and one is a driver PROBLEM!

Same system correct?
Lenovo 300 n100
Drivers cannot be installed unless the restore issue is resolved.
Since you didn't give any specifics about the system in your other topic we are to figure it is the same system.
If there is no Recovery Partition on the hd then your only option is to purchase a XP OS disk of the same type that is currently installed on the laptop.
On the bottom of the laptop should be a sticker with the original OS type and version. You would need to get the same to format and reinstall the system. From there the drivers can then be installed that are missing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

ok, i tried to install windows 7 home prem on this same system, and it says select driver to install,, and there isnt anything to select???

We don't give assistance via pm's so please post here in the topic.
Which Driver for what are you having a problem with?

Have you tried contacting Lenovo HERE and ask them for a link to the download page for your drivers or for a drivers disk for your laptop?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I couldn't find Lenovo 3000 n100 so i looked at 3000 c100. Please note that this computer will not work with Windows 7 because drivers for this operating system are not available. You must keep running XP.

Your options:

1: Borrow a Lenovo installation CD made for your computer and install it with the product key which is at the bottom of the laptop.

2: If you cannot borrow one you may have to buy one from Lenovo.

3: Buy a standard XP installation CD and install it with the new product key. You will have to download and install all the drivers offered by Lenovo.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is what I found also.

i heard to hit f11 on start up, but it doesn't work, maybe the previous owner deleted the restore partition, i dont know

If this is true then you will have to purchase a recovery cd or purchase a new XP and reload the system. Since you ahve now tried to install Win 7 with no success your options are as [b]Skeptic and I[b] have outlined now.