Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

google-ish

google-ish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Dear all,

I am currently trying to upgrade my laptop's service pack from 2 to 3. I'm using a Fujitsu tablet PC. But apparently the setup stays still at midway when the status reads as "running processes after install".

I did some checking on my own saying some processes at the back end might be running that causes the hang. Thus i did the installation in safe mode, but still the same problem occured. Anyone out here can help me out? Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depending on the speed of the machine and the state of the installation I have seen this take in excess of an hour.

Providing the hard drive's being accessed, it should be okay. Best advice is to leave it for a while and it should eventually finish.

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I left it untouched for two days. Still stuck at the same. no progress at all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Very often the installation of the service pack fail on long running, loaded computers, leaving you with lots of problems. I install it only on computers that have been recently formatted and then after running defragmantation and disabling the antivirus. Don't try to force the installation. Just leave the computer as is. When a day come (and it surely will) that you have to reformat, then install sp-3.

h4141

h4141

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need service pack 3

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I need service pack 3

If you're having problems obtaining the service pack from Windows Update, you can download the stand-alone update package from the Download Center. This page will say that this installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers. However, you can safely download this file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

To order Windows XP SP3 on a CD, click to visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites, as appropriate for your region:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can improve your chances of installation by:

1: Create a restore point of today.

1: Download and install CCleaner. Run the Cleaner option. Run Registry and when given the option click "Backup changes to the registry". Please note: Registry cleaners are not recommended in this forum because of possible problems. I use CCleaner for years almost on a daily basis and never had any problem. It's for you to decide.

3: Run disk defragmentation.

4: Download PageDefrag from my list of programs below. Open the program and check the option that run the program on the next boot. Reboot.

5: Disable your antivirus and other antimalware programs that may run in the background.

6: install SP-3

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In addition to the advice already given - See this. Check your free space on the hard drive. - as well as the other advice from Microsoft.
http://windows.micro...vice-pack-3-sp3

AND THIS
http://support.micro....com/kb/950717/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 September 2010 - 06:18 PM.