Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninstalled xp sp3, now no internet

• Please log in to reply

padre03

padre03

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello -

Was having intermittent internet issues - I uninstalled sp3 (via control panel, add/remove programs). Now I can no longer gain access to the internet. Network connection shows that the pc is trying to acquire a network address, but to no avail. Both DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Properties services are stopped - when I try to start either of them, I get the following error message:

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Jordi Ruiz

Jordi Ruiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
If you had network problems before uninstall SP3 and now too, it seems there are problems with some windows system files. Try to repair Windows with the original CD.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Would you have any suggestions should the original CD be unavailable?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If this doesn't fix the issue then try the below instructions.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for the input - I'll give it a shot tonight.

One more question - the machine in question is running XP Media version. I do have a XP home edition disk as my disposal - any chance I could use that to try the first responder's Windows repair suggestion?

Thanks again - I'll be sure to let you know how I make out...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually it will not work and I myself would never suggest using a different version to repair with.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use the link in my list of programs below and download the fix to TCP/IP and winsock. Run the program and see if things improved.

If that doesn't help reinstall your Lan driver (or wireless adapter in case you run it on wireless.)

Are you sure that the problem is with the computer? It could be on the modem/router side. Try to connect another computer and see if the problem persist. If it does, then the problem is not with the computer.

Generally speaking a connectivity problem can be the result of faulty hardware or software. Please give us the briefest description of your computer and mention mode of operation (wired or wireless).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Skeptic. I was away for a bit and didn't get back till just now.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok...so who's suggestion do I try first - rshaffer62 or the skeptic?

Not trying to create a power struggle here, but would rather solve the issue the simplest way possible...

It's a wired connect and definitely a pc issue - have other ethernet cables coming out of router that connect just fine...

Edited by padre03, 27 September 2010 - 04:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go with Skeptic's as his is the most likely to work first.

Advertisements

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok - quick update -

Downloaded the program, transferred to problem pc via flash drive. Copied to desktop, ran the executable, then tried running the Reset TCP/IP. Instantly got a message stating that "TCP/IP Stack has been reset. Need to reboot in order for the settings to take effect." Then tried the Repair Winsock - again, instantly got message stating "Your Winsock catalog has been reset to it's default configuration. Reboot for changes to take effect". Things happened way too fast for anything to actually get revised.

Could you perhaps expound on the reinstalling the LAN driver routine please?

Your help is truly appreciated...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fix takes very short time to accomplish SO I believe that was done correctly. I understand that the problem is still there.

To reinstall the driver: First we have to remove the old installation. Go to device manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the driver and uninstall it. To install new driver you have three options:

1: Reboot the computer and let windows find the driver from within it's driver library. If that doesn't work:

2: Install the driver from the drivers installation CD that you got with your computer. If this is not available:

3: Download the correct driver from the computer manufacturer's site.

If the fresh driver does not solve the problem and if your computer is desktop, buy a new PCI ethernet card (very cheap) install in your PC and boot. Windows should find the correct driver.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Tried all the above suggestions, but still no connection. The XP TCP/IP Repair doesn't seem to do anything. Ran the sfc /scannow, and did get to a point where it was asking for Windows Professional CD2 (this despite Windows Media version is running). BTW, the value for SourcePath was already set to C:\Windows, so I didn't have to change anything (unless I was supposed to remove the Windows portion of the value). Ran sfc /scannow a second time, still no change. DHCP Client & TCP/IP Net BIOS services still not started, and still getting Error 1075 when attempting to manually start each of them.

I've already uninstalled the ethernet card & rebooted previously to no avail.

This whole ordeal begun after I uninstalled XP SP3 - not sure why that would futz up the ethernet card. I welcome more suggestions...

Edited by padre03, 28 September 2010 - 12:58 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please have a look at this article. Microsoft explain and offer a solution to the error message that you get.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It appears that that article refers to Background Intelligent Transfer Service - do I follow those steps anyway?

Edited by padre03, 28 September 2010 - 06:10 AM.