Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninstalled xp sp3, now no internet

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, no harm can be done.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I wonder if a System Restore will help in this issue Skeptic? :D
What about reinstalling SP3 from HERE? ;)
The last resort would maybe to try a Repair Installation. ;)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are two facts that we have to bear in mind:

1: Connectivity problems existed even before the uninstallation of SP-3.
2: The OP doesn't have XP installation CD.

Restore and reinstallation of SP-3 are viable options but, being familiar with service pack problems, I doubt very much if they are going to help. The best option would be for the OP to get XP CD and run sfc /scannow or, as a last resort, windows repair.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Agreed
Since the issue existed before unistallation of SP3 it would seem to me that the OS is doinked and a repair would be the best option to go with. :D

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
FYI, I didn't have a chance to fiddle last night, but do have another question. It turns out the OS came preloaded on the machine (it's actually my brother's pc). He did tell me that he made recovery disks - can those be used to run the sfc /scannow and/or perform the Windows repair?

Again, the machine has XP Media version, but when I ran the sfc /scannow the other night, it asked for the XP Professional CD2 - any idea what that's all about?

Thanks again for your time and guidance....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
These are good news. You have to try the recovery CD and follow the instructions. Some recovery CDs will give you an option to restore windows without formatting. This will leave other programs and data intact. Some will reformat, wipe all data and reinstall windows. You have to folow the instructions and see what your options are.

Whatever the case, before taking any step with the recovery CD, backup your valuable data to an external storage device!

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
So...do I try the sfc /scannow first, or pop in the recovery disks and see where that leads?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Pop in the recovery disks and see where that leads.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Skeptic I've been trying to handle vehicle problems here. I appreciate you taking the lead on this for me. :D

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok guys, I'm back. Still having the same issues...

It appears that the recovery disk only allows a totally clean install - I'd rather not do that until last resort.

It looks like the DHCP and TCP/IP Netbios Helper are not starting because they're dependant on Netbios over TCP/IP service. (See original post regarding Error 1075).

I looked at the registry and the Netbios over TCP/IP is not listed under those services - is there a way to restore or reinstall that service (Netbios over TCP/IP)?

Edited by padre03, 31 October 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm system restore, sfc, install sp3 or borrow a installation cd of the same type xp you have and attempt a repair installation.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you have not already proceeded with the repair install and apologising before I start if this has already been suggested I have read the thread but just in case I missed it.
What is shown when you type "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt. Go Start, run and type "cmd", then when the cmd window opens type "ipcongfig /all"
Is the IP address and subnet mask then shown as 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway is there a listing.
What is shown in DHCP server.
IF THERE IS ANY ADDRESS shown in IP address - ping it. Do to this type "ping and the address. ie: 192.168.1.69
If that fails or there is no IP shown, try pinging this website www.espn.com it accepts pings.
If that fails go back to the cmd prompt and type
IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW, obviously pressing enter after each.
If that fails, you can obviously connect on another computer so go to that computer and type "ipconfig /all" there.
From those details instead of automatically obtain IP address
Go Network Connections in Control Panel
Right click and click properties, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then click Properties
Uncheck both Obtain automatcially on IP address and DNS server
Then enter manually the details from the other computer.
Ensure that computer is not connected. and now try and connect

If that works, the computer is attempting to use the setup that was there before SP3 was uninstalled.
In which case as rshaffer61 and TheSkeptic have of course said try re-applying the Windows Service Pack since doing so will refresh all of the system files.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 October 2010 - 07:53 PM.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
UPDATE -

I've downloaded and installed a SP2 on the affected machine in an effort to get a clean install. However, DHCP Client and TCP/IP NetBios Helper still fail to start and cannot be started manually - I still get the Error 1075 message (service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

In comparing the registries between a working pc and the non-working one, I notice that NetBT is missing under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services. Any chance that this is the primary cause of my issues, and if so, how can it be remedied?

In the meantime, I'm going to review all the previous responses to look for clues...

Thanks -

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
UPDATE #2
Currently running scannow again, but in rehashing the sequence of events, remembered that prior to uninstalling SP3, I uninstalled Norton antivirus. That's when the connectivity issues all started and I uninstalled SP3.

DHCP Client Properties and TCP/IP NetBios Helper are both missing the NetBios over Tcpip dependency. I'm guessing that has something to do with the fact that the NetBT key is missing from the registry? (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet\Services)

The Windows repair option is not available on the Sony System & Application recovery disk - can someone walk me through how I go about getting the NetBT key back into the registry? (If that is the root of problem "A"?)

For what it's worth, I can connect using a static IP address, but am unable to install Microsoft Security Essentials, or to update the definitions for SuperAntiSpyware, so I'm thinking I still have some bugs in the system...

As always, any and all insight is truly appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bugs as in a active infection?