Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Critical temperature reached

• Please log in to reply

devouredbychaos

devouredbychaos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright so basically I don't know much about computers. I'm trying to reformat my laptop and actually go back to XP. It boots and starts the whole installation process, but every time the computer just shuts down in the middle of it. I've tried numerous times and its not one certain spot where it happens either. So I decided to try DBAN to just completely wipe my hard drive and now I get this error:

Critical temperature reached 95C, shutting down
Kernel panic - not syncing. No init found. Try passing init - option to kernel.

Then it just shuts down. Now I know for a fact the temperature isn't getting that high as its not hot at all and the laptop has been turned off all night. ANY help would be appreciated as I really need to reformat my slow lagging laptop and have no idea what to do about this.

Advertisements

devouredbychaos

devouredbychaos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I should note that I am running Vista but prefer XP that's why I am making the switch.