Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LG monitor goes black at startup

• Please log in to reply

Daflippa

Daflippa

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

yesterday I disconnected my LG monitor for some reason from my computer. Afterwards I put my computer on again but forgot to plug the monitor in again, so I did it while the computer was on. I got no display on my screen so I rebooted.
I got the normal Windows XP starting screen, with the flag and the "tube" that fills while starting up.
Next thing that happened was the message "Analog power saving mode" - and the screen got black. I heard the opening tune from Windows so my OS was still running... The power light from my monitor went from blue to orange/yellow.

The only strange thing I can think about is that I put the wire in the monitor while the computer was already running.

I rebooted at least 10 times but I always got the "analog power saving mode" message followed by a black/dead screen.

In the meanwhile I checked everything, the wires, contacts,... I connected the screen on my friends laptop and that worked, so the screen is not broken and the wires are not harmed.
After googeling the problem, I got not really further cause I found solutions about messing in the control panel, but since the screen is not working, I cannot change settings.

Maybe I need to update drivers from my videocard, but I have no vision so I canīt.
Then I tried to boot from a cd that has to do with the vga settings, but i can not boot from the cd because i still donīt get a screen. I tried to startup in safe mode but that doesnīt work either. I push the F8 button while starting up, but then I can only choose the boot sequence.

I would be extremely happy with some helping hints. If I need to give more information, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi Daflippa
You need to provide some information about your computer, this includes
is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide
the model name or series number, motherboard and any add on card details
would also help others to help you better.
Couple of things you can check out in the meantime (after removing the
power cord from the wall) remove the silver CR2032 battery from the MB for
a few minutes and then replace it, this re-sets the MB back to the default
settings so upon booting up you will need to go into the BIOS and re-set
the time and date and save and exit, while the case is open if you have an
add on video card first take anti static precautions by touching a bare
metal part of the case, then remove the card, blow out the slot and re-seat
the card securely, do the same with the Ram sticks, take the opportunity to
clean the inside of the case out, check that all connections are secure and
re-assemble the computer and boot up.
Give the above a try and let us know how it goes, other than this you may
have to boot up from the OS disk.

Daflippa

Daflippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Phillpower,

thanks for the help. I hoped that opening the case and 'reorganizing' stuff would be the last thing to do, but anyway, I did it.
The first time I started up after unplugging the power supply from the MB and re-setting the RAM sticks, the date and time was still correct in the Bios, so I thought it had not been unconnected long enough. I unplugged the power supply again all night and this morning I started up again. Still the time and date was correct in the Bios so I pulled out the power cord from the wall while I was in the Bios. This way the computer let me choose to startup in safe mode the next time.
In safe mode I could find the system restore and used it to restore to my computer to last week, this fixed the problem until now.
Again, thanks a lot!
I'm still not okay with it because it just happened out of nowhere.
Could it have been caused by starting up the computer without the screen being connected on that moment?

I have a Targa computer,
Windows XP pro SP3
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual 5000+
2.61 GHz 2.00 GB

Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8500GT
Screen is an LG L240WS (plug & play)

I guess I'll just check for an update for my videocard and hope the problem is solved by now...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

The first time I started up after unplugging the power supply from the MB and re-setting the RAM sticks, the date and time was still correct in the Bios, so I thought it had not been unconnected long enough. I unplugged the power supply again all night and this morning I started up again. Still the time and date was correct in the

This is because the CR2032 motherboard battery was not removed as described here;

remove the silver CR2032 battery from the MB for
a few minutes and then replace it, this re-sets the MB back to the default
settings so upon booting up you will need to go into the BIOS and re-set
the time and date and save and exit,

For future reference I have provided a link for you to look at showing how to remove and replace the CR2032 MB battery, you may want to do this because it has gone flat or you wish to clear the CMOS to restore the factory settings, I would advise that when you remove/replace the battery that you do not touch it with your bare hands as oils/contaminants on the skin can have a corrosive affect on the battery, I wear a pair of latex gloves as seen on CSI but one of the Techs on the forum puts a sock over his hand so if it works for them it is safe.
http://www.liverepai...cmosreplace.asp
Please try and remember to never connect or disconnect hardware to your computer whilst it has power going through it as the results can be disastrous, fried MB, CPU, Ram, Add on cards, even all of them!
The reasons why the issue happened may remain a mystery but possible causes, driver issue due to being connected whilst running or the card being dislodged whilst being disconnected/re-connected.
Also not shutting the computer down the correct way is not recommended as it could render your BIOS useless, you could have got into safe mode from the BIOS screen and done a system restore from there.
If the computer is working ok now I would leave well alone and only look for an update if the issue re-appears.

Edited by phillpower2, 28 September 2010 - 04:58 AM.

Daflippa

Daflippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I realize I have been arranging it pretty non-professional as I read your post again. (And I always blame my sister for acting without REALLY reading what is on the manual :D )
Thanks for the help and the link, it will protect me from some future mess-up actions!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

Ok, I realize I have been arranging it pretty non-professional as I read your post again. (And I always blame my sister for acting without REALLY reading what is on the manual :D )
Thanks for the help and the link, it will protect me from some future mess-up actions!!

You are welcome and hopefully this issue will now be resolved, let us know when you are happy that it is so that the thread can be closed.

Daflippa

Daflippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am happy :D
My problem is solved.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Congratulations on resolving your display issues I am happy that you got it sorted ;)
Thank you for choosing GTG, for allowing me to assist you and for letting us know the issue is now closed :D ;)